multi language author name

Hi,

I use Juris-m to write my thesis.
I would like to format the citations, both in footnotes and bibliography, like the following example:

author name in transcription [author name in chinese characters], title in transcription [title in chinese characters] [title in translation], etc...

The software can manage the title as I need but this is not the case for the author name. It seems like the software allows to have either the name in transcription OR the name in chinese character, but not both at the same time.

Is there a way to do what I'm searching for? Am I missing something?

thanks,
Alessandra
  • edited July 31, 2019
    It certainly should work for personal names as well, if the transcribed name is set in the item. One thing to watch is single- versus two-field mode in the name entries. Chinese names should also be split into family- and given-name elements. If entered in single-field mode, they will be controlled by the rules for "institutions" when adding variants, not by those for "persons." (The style can be adjusted to force names of a particular language to render both elements of the name always, if that is required.)

Another possible point of confusion is the behavior of subsequent citations in multilingual documents. The "primary" form of all fields is used in subsequent citations, to avoid clutter. Only the first reference has both primary and secondary (and possibly tertiary) variants. All variants should show up in the bibliography, of course.

If after checking the notes above it's still not working, post back and we'll look a little closer.
  • Thank you so much! Your answer solved it.

I have the Chinese names in single-field mode, so I just added the transliteration to "Institutions" and now it's perfect (it would probably be more elegant to have them in separate and force the style to treat them differently as you suggest but I don't really have time to change them all at the moment, so I'm really happy with this solution).

Thank you again!

Alessandra
  • As a convenience, you can move characters across the given name / family name boundary one by one by opening either field and using Ctrl + left/right arrow keys.