Setting Zotero to use multiple PDF readers

I'm using Sumatra PDF as the default PDF reader on my computer and enjoy using it so, but every once in a while I want to use the Acrobat Reader to take notes. Right now I right click and go to file and open the file in Acrobat through Windows Explorer, is there a shorter way to do this?
Thanks!
  • No. There's been talk about allowing a custom PDF viewer to be specified for Zotero and I think that might happen, but I don't think there will ever be an "open-with" option like you'd have in Windows Explorer.
  • Although your reply did break my spirit a little, many thanks for the quick reply Mr. Smith. maybe I can help implement it when I'm done with my PhD, who knows :)
  • The option to have multiple PDF readers in the context menu does sound like a great feature to implement via a plugin, nonkreon.
  • edited June 27, 2019
    I'm also using Sumatra PDF as my default pdf viewer in Windows, since it's not cluttered and quick with handling multiple files. While it would be nice if one could choose a pdf viewer in Zotero, there is a quick solution for the question in the first post of this thread.

For combining Sumatra PDF viewer with an external pdf editor, Sumatra PDF's "File" -> "Open in" menu is useful. The external editor can be called from the keyboard. If you have Adobe Reader, typing "Alt+F+A" in Sumatra PDF should open the current page in Adobe Reader. If you have PDF-Xchange Editor, you might need to add these lines to Sumatra PDF's "Advanced Options":

ExternalViewers [
    [
    CommandLine = "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PDFXEdit.exe" /A page=%p "%1"
    Name = P&DF-Xchange
    Filter = *.pdf
    ]
    ]

With these settings, typing "Alt+F+D" in Sumatra PDF will open the current page in PDF-Xchange Editor. This gives a nice workflow for reading and editing pdf files in combination with Zotero.
  • edited June 27, 2019
    While it would be nice if one could choose a pdf viewer in Zotero
    You've been able to choose a custom PDF viewer for over a year. It's a setting in the General pane of the preferences.
  • You've been able to choose a custom PDF viewer for over a year. It's a setting in the General pane of the preferences.
    Thanks for your answer. I was not aware of Zotero's option to override the system default pdf viewer. It's good to know, but this was not what I had in mind. I was not clear in this point, so let me expand on it. Just to be clear, I'm not asking for a feature here, since there is a solution, as explained above.

I was thinking of cases when a user has two different favorite programs for reading and editing pdf files. For reading, especially on a laptop with a comparatively small screen, you want to open the file without the clutter of many toolbars etc., which take away screen space. For many users it might be convenient enough to invoke full screen mode in their pdf editor. But some might prefer to use different programs for each purpose.

In such a case, you might want to be able to quickly open a pdf file in one or the other program. One solution could be a Zotero context menu option as mentioned by bwiernik above. On the other hand, your default pdf viewer might provide such an option. As explained above, this is actually the case for Sumatra PDF. I'm using it as my default "reader mode" pdf viewer, which also deals with other documents (djvu, epub, ps, etc.) and which can quickly call an external program for editing files.