Unable installing the LibreOffice Integration due to JAVA

Hello,
I use the 5.0.70 beta version of Zotero and cannot install the LibreOffice Integration on my iMac (it did not work with earlier Zotero versions either), because the JAVA component does not appear. I tried solving the problem

The problem and its solution is already described here https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#libreoffice_5_on_macos_1011no_response_from_plugin as follows:

>Problem: LibreOffice 5 does not currently recognize the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), and Zotero's plugin therefore doesn't work.
Solution: Uninstall the JRE and install the Java Development Kit (JDK) instead.
Uninstall the JRE
Download and install Java Development Kit (JDK) version 8<

However, this does not work, as to download the Java Development Kit (JDK) version 8 it appears that an account at oracle is needed. How can this be avoided?

Thank you
  • I believe that the OpenJDK builds available from here should work: https://jdk.java.net/
  • Thank you. Although when I try to open the MacOS file after downloading, i get the message that the file (libjli.dylib) is corrupted and cannot be opened.
  • Error opening archive: Failed to open 'openjdk-12.0.1_osx-x64_bin.tar.gz'
  • That looks like your download was interrupted, but that's JDK 12 anyway — you want 8, and I don't think a Mac version of that is available from the OpenJDK site.

It looks like Oracle switched JDK 8 to requiring an account to download it, though it's still free for personal use. That's really annoying, but I assume it would work if you created an account. (You could also probably find an unauthenticated CDN URL for the download, though you'd want to make sure it was still an official Oracle download.)

We'll look into whether it's possible to get the plugin working with a newer and/or more readily accessible version of Java, though that depends on LibreOffice.
  • edited July 4, 2019
    @sofoulino Oracle JDK 12 works fine and does not require an account to download. Get it from Oracle Java download page. I've also updated the docs page to reflect this.
  • Ok, thanks!