error after update to zotero 5.0.67 in LO documents

Since the update to Zotero 5.0.67 we cannot add or edit references in our documents anymore; We get the error: 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?'
We are using LO 6.2.4.2.

Stepping back to 5.0.66 resolves the problem.

Starting from a clean LO document also works.
  • edited June 19, 2019
    Report ID: 1599147447 as well as Report ID: 1727638210 (for the Safari Integration)

I am using Libre Office 6.0.0.3 and experience the same problem after updating to Zotero 5.0.67.3.
    Where can i find the previous version, to go back to it? I tried to follow the other steps suggested for debugging (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents) but without any success.
  • the error notification I get when trying to refresh the document or adding a new citation is "Ein Fehler ist beim Update Ihres Dokuments aufgetreten."
  • >Where can i find the previous version, to go back to it?

Go to https://www.zotero.org/download/
    and check the download link.
    I changed the version string in the download link (from 67 to 66) for linux to this:
    https://www.zotero.org/download/client/dl?channel=release&platform=linux-x86_64&version=5.0.66

for windows/mac a similar change will probably work.
  • Thank you! It worked altering the link and I could download the previous version. I will now see, if it solves the problem for me too.
  • Are you using custom templates? Could you send one of your custom templates to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • edited June 19, 2019
    LibreOffice 6.2.4.2 on Ubuntu 18.04.2, bookmarks (.docx) and ReferenceMarks (.odt) created with Zotero 5.0.66, update to Zotero 5.0.67. No error.
  • >Are you using custom templates? Could you send one of your custom templates to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?<

In case this is addressed to me: I am not sure if I do use them, could you explain how I can find out?
  • in any case I reinstalled the previous Zotero Version (5.0.66) and now the Citations seem to work fine again. Problem solved as long as I do not update to the 67 version.
  • @adomasven: could you explain what you mean with custom template. I do use a custom citation style, is that it?
  • @arjan1234 To start, if you open LibreOffice and create a new document, without selecting any templates, do you see a completely empty page? If you do, does insertion in this page with Zotero 5.0.67 work?
  • >do you see a completely empty page?
    Yes

> does insertion in this page with Zotero 5.0.67 work?
    yes.
  • Ok, then does insertion work in LibreOffice templates? If it does, where does insertion not work?
  • When I open our template, which contains a bibliography and citations, insertion/editing/updating does not work.
  • If you remove everything from this document but the very first page, does it still not work? If it doesn't, could you send that snippet to support@zotero.org? If it does work, could you use step 8 of debugging broken documents instructions and isolate a snippet that makes the document broken and send that to support@zotero.org? In either case, please include a link to this thread in the email.
  • If I remove all but the first page, it does work. So I tried to isolate the fragment that causes the error, and sent it to support@zotero.org.
  • Could you upload the citation style you are using in this document somewhere (dropbox, google drive, etc.) and post a link here?
  • In the snippet that you have sent us, does it matter where you place the cursor? It always fails? I can't seem to reproduce the error.
  • Strange, when I reopen the snippet, I can't reproduce it too.
    So, I just verified, starting from the full template, I create the snippet (which gives an error when inserting references), then saving, closing LO and reopening the snippet, there is no error.
  • Can you provide us with a snippet that is broken after closing and reopening? We can't really fix this until we have a way to reproduce the issue.
  • Sure, I understand. I just sent you a document which fails also after reopening. Can you reproduce it now? (I can).
  • @sofoulino @arjan1234 The Zotero Beta now includes a fix for the issue and will soon be released as version 5.0.69.
  • Nice. The old snippets now, works, but not the full template, it still gives 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instruction' when inserting/editing references or updating the bibliography.

I sent you a new snippet containing a nearly empty table and two references.
    When I delete one of the two references in the footnotes, the seems to be solved.
    Also, removing the footnote from the table, and inserting it somewhere outside the table, solves the problem also. Can you reproduce this?
  • edited June 25, 2019
    Ok, so we've fixed the bugs introduced in version 5.0.67, but the document you have sent us would not have worked any better in Zotero 5.0.66 than it does in the beta. Table citation support in LibreOffice is not entirely complete, especially for footnote citations. In fact, Zotero will not insert footnote citations in LO tables, and will instead insert them directly into the table, so I assume the snippet you sent was made by copying that footnote into the table.

Could you confirm that you can insert a bibliography in the latest snippet that you have sent us with 5.0.66? You should manually install the Zotero LibreOffice plugin before testing.
  • > so I assume the the snippet you sent was made by copying that footnote
    No. When the cursor is in the table, I make a footnote manually with LO, then - when the cursor is in the footnote - I insert a citation using the Zotero macro button. This is how I always make all citations, also in the body of the text, outside the tables.

>Could you confirm that
    I just now reinstalled LO extension available from "zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/install" in the Zotero 5.0.66 files (overwriting the more recent installed extension).
    So using these (Zotero 5.0.66/ LO extension plugin 5.0.14), this works perfectly in snippet 35 I sent you.
  • >@sofoulino @arjan1234 The Zotero Beta now includes a fix for the issue and will soon be released as version 5.0.69.<

I just installed 5.0.69 and experienced the same problems as after the update to 5.0.67 (error described above). After going back to 5.0.66 it works fine. Now, is there maybe another (un-complicated) solution than avoiding to update my software?
  • @arjan1234, @sofoulino: This should be fixed in the latest Zotero beta. Please try that and let us know if you still have any trouble.
  • Thank you, I will try it on my laptop asap and let you know.
  • I installed the latest zotero (5.0.70-beta.1+d13ffcd9a), and after manually updating the included plugin (5.0.16) it worked. No more errors.
    Thanks al lot!
  • >I installed the latest zotero (5.0.70-beta.1+d13ffcd9a), and after manually updating the included plugin (5.0.16) it worked. No more errors.<

I did the same and it appears to work for me as well! Thanks!