dropping all indentation

All indentation is being dropped when using Zotero on my mac laptop. It's happening will all styles, and switching between styles doesn't solve it. At first I thought it was a Word style problem, but it's also happening if I copy and paste a bibliography into email, Evernote, etc.

The problem doesn't occur when I create bibliography from the same synced library on my desktop PC.

I've unlinked my account and reinstalled Zotero several times, but the problem persists. It's driving me mad.

Any suggestions?
  • How about creating the bibliography as RTF and opening the saved file in Word?
    Also, which citation style(s)?

I'm wondering if something weird is happening in the interaction with the Mac clipboard -- that's the only explanation I can think of. It's not really possible for just this particular aspect of Zotero style's to break on the Zotero end.
  • edited June 26, 2019
    Great suggestion. When I saved as .rtf, the file opens with correct formatting. However, I don't want to have to resort to this. I want to fix it :)

The problem is replicated when I tried it with APA 6th, MLA, Chicago and many journal styles. It also happens when I paste into Word, emails and Google Docs.

Two other things that might be helpful in solving the mystery...

1) Formatting is correct in Word when using Zotero's Cite While you Write add-in for Word.

2) The problem replicates when I create citations in Paperpile, but indentation is fine when creating citations in EndNote and Mendeley. (I'm a librarian and collector/teacher of citation management tools).
  • @fbennett: We seem to have lost this with the update to citeproc-js 1.2.2 in 5.0.57. Updating to 1.2.12 doesn't fix it.

I can reproduce it by setting Quick Copy to APA 6 and copying an item to a Zotero note. With 1.1.235, there was indentation. With 1.2.2, there's not.
  • edited June 26, 2019
    Oh, this was the change of development_extensions.hanging_indent_legacy_number from true to false. I assume this is related to your patch in #1668, but I'm not clear on the details here.
  • edited June 26, 2019
    OK, the patch was incomplete — it left a parseInt() call on the now-boolean, which evaluates to NaN, which is falsy, so the hanging indent wasn't getting applied.

I've fixed this, and we'll have a beta out in a few minutes.
  • Yep, that was it.
  • @jhedstrom: This should be fixed now in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 5.0.70 soon. Thanks for the report.
  • It works! Thanks soooo much.