Export references from Word document

2»
  • zotero://select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4,576PPIBM,IE7HQE9F
    -> looks a lot like the folder names though (also 8 digits), but indeed they are not (these 3 do not exist as folder name in my database)
  • If you paste one of these, e.g. CCRCXZU4 into the quick search bar in "all fields and tags" mode -- does that open an item in Zotero? Otherwise, it's almost certain that the citations in your document are not actually connected to your Zotero library.
  • yes, one by one they pop up in Zotero: all 3.
  • Great, thanks. So, based on this:

* This link shows that only 3 Zotero items were extracted from the document for this particular user library.
    * If you click the zotero://select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4,576PPIBM,IE7HQE9F link, and Zotero can't find one or more of the referenced items, it won't give a warning for the missing items but just silently skip them. If the link works, the matched items should be selected in the center column, and the right-hand column should show "3 items selected".
    * Per above, you can check whether any of these items exist in your Zotero user library by typing an item key (e.g. "CCRCXZU4") into the Zotero search bar.
  • I do not understand: just checked that al 3 items are found by Zotero. They are there. But they are not selected in Zotero if I hit the button..
  • Which operating system is this? Could you try that link directly in your browser's URL bar? In a different browser?
  • (I have only tested Zotero selection links on Windows 7)
  • edited June 25, 2019
    From the URL bar I get the same Launch Application, if I hit Open link nothing happens in Zotero (but Launch Appl. disapears).
    Windows 10 Enterprise Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
  • Edge says: "Did you mean to switch apps" and refers to Zotero. Same sort of message in Explorer. Clicked "yes" resp. " allow", but nothing happens.
  • @stroom, two more things to check:

* are you on Zotero 5.0.61 or newer (latest version is 5.0.69)? Zotero only recently added support for select links with multiple items.
    * when you search by item key (e.g. "CCRCXZU4") and the item pops up, does it show up within "My Library" (or one of its subcollections)? They're not in a group library?
  • yes: 5.0.68. In My Library, I actually do not know what a group library is. This is a 100% solitary environment (as far as I know ;)). 1 laptop, 1 user, 1 library on SSD
  • edited June 25, 2019
    If you create a link in a Zotero note and set the URL as zotero://select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4,576PPIBM,IE7HQE9F, and then open the link, does that work?
  • That's probably more bad news than good news. It means that Zotero is interpreting the links fine, but something on your system is preventing zotero:// links from reaching Zotero. I'm afraid I don't really have any suggestions there.
  • @stroom:

* If you first close Zotero, does clicking the zotero://select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4,576PPIBM,IE7HQE9F link, and selecting "Zotero" in the "Launch Application" window (for Firefox), result in Zotero being opened? It should.
    * If the above doesn't open Zotero, do you have any antivirus software on your computer?
    * If the above does open Zotero, could you try a link with just a single item? E.g. zotero://select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4
  • Did something change in the code? Everything suddenly works as it should.. PC is not even rebooted in between.
    Anyway, thanks for the help! And for the Ref Extractor. Exactly what I was looking for. Althought it feels rather strange that an external link can open and perform an action on my Zotero..
  • No, although maybe your copy of Zotero automatically updated when you reopened it. Glad it works now!

And these type of links are quite common. The link also doesn't really have the authority to perform an action itself. It just launches Zotero ("zotero://") and gives Zotero a message ("select/library/items?itemKey=CCRCXZU4,576PPIBM,IE7HQE9F"). It's up to Zotero whether to do anything with that message.
  • Just wondering, is there a message to Zotero possible like "delete database"? But anyhow, love your solution and help to my issue here ;)
  • Just wondering, is there a message to Zotero possible like "delete database"?
    You're asking if a zotero:// link can delete a database? No. Those links never perform unsafe actions in Zotero.