Error when modifying Word docs in Google Docs

Report ID: 871909469

Hi everyone,

Now it's possible to edit Word files directly in Google Docs and I'm having an issue with Zotero in Google Docs. When I try to do anything, like updating or adding a citation, an error message occurs (unable to access the document, etc.).
I did some tests: when I'm editing a Google Docs, there is no problem. When I'm modifying any Word doc in Google Docs, the problem occurs.

I'm on chrome 75 and Windows 10. Zotero is updated.

Thank you for your help.
Rodolphe
  • How exactly are you moving documents between Word and Google Docs?
  • I drag and drop a word file in Google Drive on chrome. Then I open the file with Google Doc, but it remains a word file. Even if a file is empty, the problem persist
  • I have a related issue, which may or may not be a stand-alone question. I use Zotero in MS Word 2016 with no issues, but I am now working on a manuscript with 5 co-authors. We are using Google Docs to collaborate, and Zotero should also work on this platform.

I converted my MS Word document to a Google Doc, and my Zotero citations and reference list were initially retained (as expected). However, now after several revisions going back and forth, I noticed that none of the original citations that were added in MS Word before converting the file are still linked, and only citations added directly to the Google Doc are retained. I tried to convert the document back to Word to see if the citations were still valid, but they are not (and only Google Doc links were present). I'm now having to re-enter and format 300+ references to the MS Word document, and I'm terrified that converting back to Google Docs again will un-link the citations.

Not all coauthors use the Zotero plug-in, which could be an issue, but it seems to me that the problem is from adding additional citations in the Google Doc when there were already citations from MS Word. Is Zotero overwriting the original citations and reference list, and if so, how can this issue be avoided?

A concerned user!
  • edited June 24, 2019
    You can't retain active citation links when moving documents between Google Docs and other word processors in the current version of Zotero. (This is mentioned in the Google Docs plugin documentation, and if you try to download a Google Doc as a .docx, the Zotero plugin will warn you that the citation links will be lost.) This just isn't possible on a technical level. For @rodzen, the ability to edit Word files directly in Google Docs is new, but as far as I know it doesn't change the underlying incompatibility.

The Zotero beta has a feature (described in a pinned thread here) to transfer files between Google Docs and other word processors while keeping citation links active, using an extra export step. That will be available in a release version soon.
  • @dstillman Thanks ! Although so I don't know where the came from. I will try to find out.
  • @dstillman thanks for the clarification and the quick response! Any idea if/when Zotero Beta will go live? Not much info at the link you provided.
  • New releases happen fairly frequently, if irregularly. I doubt it will be more than 2 months, likely much less. If you're in a hurry, though, the beta is very much _live_ (and fairly safe to use). It also doesn't change the database, so you can revert back to regular releases if you find it too unstable.