Scannable Cite problems - using Zotero with Scrivener

I am trying to use Zotero and Scrivener together so that I can paste citations from Zotero into my Scrivener project and when I've exported it, create the bibliography.

I've found plenty of relevant information on this forum, but am still stuck. I have downloaded the RTF/ODF scan for Zotero, but like many other users, Scannable Cite doesn't show up in my Export list under Preferences Default Copy Format.

Other messages have sent me to this GitHub page: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Juris-M/zotero-odf-scan-plugin/master/resource/translators/Scannable Cite.js

But I'm not a programmer at all and have no idea what to do with that page. I seem to be able to download it only as a webarchive page, or copy it into a text editor in which case it needs to be called .rtf or .txt. How do I download it as a .js file in the Zotero Translators folder (which I have located)?

I am using a MacBook OS 10.13.6, Zotero standalone 5.0.54 and Scrivener 2.8.1.2.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Philip
  • yeah, there's no coding required whatsoever. What happens if you right-click on the link above and click "save link as", then save the file? If that doesn't work, have you tried with a different browser?
  • Thank you Adam. I was using Safari and that only gave me a Save Page As... option, not a Save File As... I then used Chrome and it saved fine, and I've now been able to select it from the Export Preferences list.
  • I'm still unable to find the 'Scannable Cite' option. Here is what I've tried:
    1. I was using the Zotero beta version, so I uninstalled it before reinstalling Zotero 5.0.55 for Windows. That seemed to work.
    2. I installed the RTF/ODF Plugin from Github: https://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/ The RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero now appears under Extensions in the Add-on Manager window (so, I think I've done that correctly).
    4. Under Zotero Preferences, I found RTF Scan, but not Scannable Cite. Therefore, I followed the directions above for downloading the JavaScript: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Juris-M/zotero-odf-scan-plugin/master/resource/translators/Scannable Cite.js
    (It appears with the JavaScript icon, so I think I did it correctly).
    5. In Zotero Preferences under the Cite Tab, I clicked on the '+' sign before navigating to where I downloaded the JavaScript file-- I only see one option for viewing files: CSL Style. Now that I've downloaded it, I'm not sure how to install it, link it, or whatever I need to do. (I saved the file in 'Extensions' folder because I could not find the 'data' or 'translation' folders like others suggested.)
    6. I can now drag-and-drop citations from Zotero into Scrivener, but I believe this is because I selected the RTF Scan. However, it's not doing it properly. The citation should look like this: { | Cassé, & Lyle, 2003 | | |zu:1521059:TBIESI54} but instead it looks like this: {Taylor, "Solar System Evolution: A New Perspective", 2005}. This is an older project, so this process has worked for me in the past. I worry that having two different citations styles in the same document will not work once it comes time to compile and export.
    7. I just seem to know enough about technology to get it to a place that it does not work, so please help. Thank you.

Todd

• The problem is likely step 5. You need to select Scannable Cite as the default output format under "Export". It's not (in Zotero's technical terms) a citation style, so not listed in the styles tab.
  • Thank you. How exactly do I do that? I went to 'Edit' > 'Preferences' > 'Export' Tab. From other postings, it seems like there should be a way to check 'Scannable Cite', but I can't find it. I clicked on the 'Edit' button and typed in 'Scannable Cite'-- it created a 'domain/path' by that name, but the format is listed as 'RTF Scan'. That did not change the way the citations were dragged-and-dropped into Scrivener.

I've been trying to troubleshoot things:

If the JS file is in the Zotero 'Program File (x86)' does it automatically detect it, or do I have to link it? If so, how? Also, does it matter where the JS file is saved? I placed it in the 'poppler-data' and the 'extension' files, but those didn't work. Now I've moved it to the root Zotero folder, but still no luck.

Also, under 'Tools' > 'RTF/ODF Scan' I've tried 'RTF; ODF (to citation); and ODF (to markers)' with no change. The input/output files are not set up. Does this make a difference?

Finally, I've tried using 'Alt+Ctrl+C' on the citation in Zotero and then 'Alt+Ctrl+V' in Scrivener-- all that does is type a 'V' in my Scrivener document.

Thank you.
  • 1. It should be towards the bottom of the dropdown list for the Default Export formats, and yes, just putting it in the folder (and restarting Zotero) is all that's needed.

2. For scanning you need to set up an input file, otherwise it doesn't do anything.

3. Since this isn't a citation (as per above), you need Alt+Ctrl+a in Zotero. That copies the item to the clipboard, so you'd just use Ctrl+v in Scrivener.
  • Sorry to keep bothering you, but it's still not working. I tried the following:

I resaved the JS file in the Program File (x86): Zotero root folder (it is 3KB JavaScript file named Scannable Cite) using the link above. Then I opened Zotero. Under 'Preferences > Export tab > Default Format drop-down menu' it is still not appearing. Then I restarted the computer and Zotero, but it is still not appearing.

Based on this posting, I was thinking about uninstalling Zotero 5 and down-grading to Zotero 4: https://catherinepope.com/how-to-use-zotero-with-scrivener-part-2/

However, as I was in the process of doing this, I received a message that I would lose bibliographic data/fields that I created in the newer version. I have more than 1400 items, so I don't want to mess things up. I don't have anything too complicated: books, chapters, and articles all in English.

Would I lose data if I downgraded? Also, is Zotero 4 still being supported? This process (bringing scannable citations into Scrivener) has worked for me in the past (on this same computer)-- the only thing I can think that might be different was upgrading Zotero.

I've been getting up every morning at 4:30 to write, but this week I've spent that time trying to get this to work. I don't need anything fancy, so if I can safely downgrade to get this to work, I'm ready to do that.

Ultimately, it would not surprise me if this is an operator error, but I'm not sure what I am or am not doing wrong. Thanks for your responses.

Todd
  • I resaved the JS file in the Program File (x86): Zotero root folder
    that's the problem. It needs to go into the translators directory of the Zotero data folder https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data -- there will be several hundred other .js files if you're looking at the right folder. Everything else sounds right.

(And no, downgrading isn't safe, no, Zotero 4 is no longer supported, and this works exactly the same in Zotero 4 and 5)
  • That worked!!! Thank you.
  • Hello I'm now having problems again as it's 3 months since I tried to create a properly formatted manuscript, and something must have changed.

I export the text (with properly formatted {citations}) from Scrivener as an RTF file. I open Zotero, select Tools RTF/ODF scan and select the RTF file and a similarly named output file (with 'scanned' at the end of it automatically added to the filename).

I click on Continue and then get the screen saying 'Zotero is scanning for citations. Please be patient'. And there it hangs. It used to spend perhaps 5-30 seconds on that page depending on the length of the RTF file. Now it sits there indefinitely, even for a single paragraph.

I'm using Scrivener 2.8.1.2, Zotero 5.0.65 and Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Philip
  • edited April 11, 2019
    Could you post one of your citation markers as an example?

There are two flavors of citation marker. The old-school marker is the "RTF Scan" format, and support for that is built into Zotero. The "ODF Scan" marker has a different format, it works only with ODT documents (not RTF), and you need to have a plugin installed in Zotero in order for it to work.

From your description, it sounds like you are processing the citations using RTF Scan, which is built into Zotero. I just tried processing an RTF document with ODF Scan markers in it, and it behaved exactly as you describe -- it tells me to be patient, and then gives meaning to the admonition by cycling endlessly until I terminate the window. But that's kind of expected, since RTF Scan isn't meant to handle the ODF Scan citation markers.
  • (@philipafine: If your citation markers are in the RTF Scan format and the tool is failing on you, post a note back here, and someone more familiar with RTF Scan than I may be able to help.)
  • Thanks fbennett. My citation markers are of the form {Smith, 2009} which I believe are RTF scan format not ODF. It's worked in the past without LibreOffice but I've also installed that if necessary. I'm wondering if it's an issue with MacOS Mojave and Scrivener 2?
  • Got it. No need for LibreOffice, you're fine as you are, and you do not need the ODF Scan plugin. I don't know the RTF Scan end of things much, but someone else may be able to help.
  • Fingers crossed someone else can. I could post my query as a new thread rather than a comment on this old thread if that was likely to get more viewers?
  • Should be okay here, since fresh queries float to the top.
  • I have the same problem as philipafine. Working with Mojave 10.14.4, Zotero 5.0.67.3 and Scrivener 3.1.2. I did try the setup, working with RTF markers like {Orlikowski, 2001}. It worked once. Now, it stops saying 'Zotero is scanning for citations'.
    I've tried the ODT version and that seems to work just fine. But I would prefer to use the RTF citation markers. Any ideas?
  • Try with 5.0.68 -- I think 5.0.67 introduced an RTF scan bug
  • I think 5.0.67 introduced an RTF scan bug
    No, that's not right. The RTF Scan fix in 5.0.68 was for a years-old, cosmetic issue.

If this happens without the plugin installed, we'd want to see a Report ID after triggering the error.
  • I used the RTF/ODF Scan. Was that wrong if I want to use RTF? Should I remove this add on? Report ID 486302645
  • If you're just using RTF, you can uninstall that and try with the stock version. You're getting an error in the plugin version. @adamsmith and @fbennett will need to look into that:
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: citationString.split(...).join(...).split(...).replace is not a function" {file: "chrome://rtf-odf-scan-for-zotero/content/rtfScan.js" line: 943}]
    _scanRTF@chrome://rtf-odf-scan-for-zotero/content/rtfScan.js:943:21
    Zotero_RTFScan
  • We could just remove RTF scan from the plugin to save maintenance headaches, if @adamsmith agrees.