Unable to launch Zotero 5 on Ubuntu 16.04, error involves libgtk-3

Hello everyone,
I am running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 on my computer, downloaded the Zotero 5 tarball, extracted it in my home folder, ran a terminal inside the folfer and typed "./zotero".

I get the following error:
"XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/nil/Zotero_linux-i686/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM."

It seems to me that zotero doesn't find "libtk-3.so.0". I tried reinstalling libgtk-3-0 from synaptic without success.
Any clues on how I could solve this problem?

Thank you by advance,
Nil
  • I'm experiencing the same issue but on 18.04. I installed Zotero standalone through Ubuntu's Software Centre (snap). However, when I attempt to start Zotero through the UI I see the following in syslog and Zotero fails to start:

Oct 25 05:56:40 idillingham zotero-standalone_zotero-standalone.desktop[4932]: XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /snap/zotero-standalone/36/libxul.so:
    Oct 25 05:56:40 idillingham zotero-standalone_zotero-standalone.desktop[4932]: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Oct 25 05:56:40 idillingham zotero-standalone_zotero-standalone.desktop[4932]: Couldn't load XPCOM.

The file "/snap/zotero-standalone/36/libxul.so" exists.

When I execute "/snap/zotero-standalone/36/zotero" through the shell then Zotero starts.

As with Nil, libgtk-3-0 is installed and at time of posting at the latest version (3.22.30-1ubuntu1).

Given that the problem seems to be one of launching Zotero, might the solution reside in the following line from "/snap/zotero-standalone/36/zotero.desktop"?

Exec=bash -c "$(dirname $(readlink -f %k))/zotero -url %U"

This executes correctly from the shell when executed within "/snap/zotero-standalone/36/". However, is it executed from an alternative location when started through the UI?

I tried modifying the above line, replacing the call to bash with the path to the zotero executable. However, I couldn't save "zotero.desktop", even with sudo. I don't know anything about snap, but these files seem to be read-only.
  • The Snap package is not distributed by Zotero and given its date is likely outdated.
    It looks like it was prepared as part of https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1288 but never intended to be published.

You should try downloading and using the tarball instead (as nil did -- not sure what went wrong for them).
  • Thanks adamsmith. I can confirm that the tarball works correctly.

It would be useful for someone with permission to edit the wiki to update the Installation Instructions page:

https://www.zotero.org/support/installation

The option to install the snap release appears when the word Zotero is typed into the Ubuntu Software application. The above page suggests the snap release is supported -- "Linux users may wish to use a package for their distro rather than using the tarball directly." -- which isn't true. Consequently, it's easy to be fooled into not opening a shell!
  • A distro package usually/often isn't maintained by the main developers, but I've clarified that in the Linux instructions.
  • https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb is easy for me to update so I anticipate that I'd usually only one day behind a new release.
  • zotero version 5.0.67
    Ubuntu 19.04

Description: was working fine. Then suddenly stopped launching

/zotero -ZoteroDebug
    /opt/Zotero_linux-x86_64/updates/0/updater: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    dpkg -l libgtk2.0*

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    un libgtk2.0-0 (no description available)
    un libgtk2.0-bin (no description available)

looks like it somehow got uninstalled

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgtk2.0-0

seems to solve the problem
  • firefox (which Zotero currently build on) seems to list libgtk-3-0 as a dependency (and consequently, so does https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-deb).