Two-part surnames

edited June 19, 2019
I am trying to cite papers by Simon Conway Morris

Forename = Simon
Surname = Conway Morris

Zotero correctly displays "Conway Morris" in the creator field, but in MS Word, it cites these items as Morris, S.C. in the bibliography, and (Morris, 1977) in the text.

How can I generate the correct outputs:
Conway Morris, S.
Conway Morris, 1977
  • edited June 19, 2019
    ̶W̶̶h̶̶i̶̶c̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶t̶̶y̶̶l̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶s̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶?̶
  • Make sure that you enter the name in Zotero as [Conway Morris] [Simon]. It sounds like you may have “Conway” entered after “Simon”.

If you have it entered correctly, make sure you are looking at the correct item. In Word, open the Edit Citation window for the item showing incorrectly, click on the blue bubble for the item, and click Show in My Library. Make sure it takes you to the same item.
  • Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, I've entered the name as [Conway Morris] [Simon].
    Clicking the blue button does not bring up a "show in my library" option, but there is only one matching citation in my library, and inserting it again into the document gives "Morris, 1977"; this is also the text in the blue bubble.

For what it's worth, I'm using the style "Journal of Paleontology". This style displayed correctly in Mendeley, from which I recently migrated. (Mendeley uses the same .csl file as Zotero.)
  • The lack of "Show Library" button means that the citation doesn't actually get its data from Zotero, it uses information stored in the document (which would happen e.g. if this was a document originally authored in Mendeley).

Easiest fix would be to delete and re-insert it.
  • That explains it – indeed the source code behind the citation (Shift-F9) had, oddly, split "family":"Morris","given":"Simon Conway". I hadn't realised that Zotero would overwrite Mendeley's citation data.

Great to learn that I don't have to replace every single citation manually though!

Thanks for your help.