Period at the end of citation in CMOS (full note with bilbiography)

Hi everybody,

I use Zotero to write my Master Thesis in Austria. I have chosen to use The Chicago Manual of Style (full note with bilbiography). However, I sometimes get a period at the end of citations, sometimes I don't.

Isn't there a general rule that a period must be at the end of each citation? If yes, CMOS as it's working now, produces errors.

Regards from Salzburg (yes, yes... where Sound of Music comes from ;o)
Markus
  • Can you post specific examples of when you are and are not getting periods?
  • That is a problem, Tjowens, because I cant identify a system ;o)

I think that

i) if I make quotiation within a footnote (i.e. I embellish an argument wihtin a footnote and than start quoting a source within that same footnote and then hit the "insert citation" button to state the source) it is more prone to "forget" the period at the end;

ii) there were quite a number of times when "it" (that is Zotero;) forgot to make a period in a regular footnote citation (i.e. where I quote from the body);

iii) it has problems with Internet addresses. When I quote a source where I have filled in the URL field, CMOS puts that address at the end, NOT followed by a period. [ Which is not so inconvienent however, since I have to manually add the (retrieved on 15 June 2009) part... why cant "it" do that automatically?]

Take care and many thanx!
    Markus
  • This is a known problem--see ticket. For workarounds, see discussion.
  • Hi Markus,

I created a Style which is not too different from the Chicago Style and targeted at german-speaking writers.You can find more information here:
    http://www.fhv.at/learningsupport/LSC/html/tool-zotero.htm

greetings,
    Frank from Austria
  • MG6
    edited July 24, 2009
    The ticket says it's closed, and that it can't be reproduced, but this still happens to me, every single time I add a citation. Hitting refresh fixes it, however, so this isn't the biggest inconvenience out there. I'm using Word 2002 on windows XP with the latest plugin as of 7/23/09. I don't know how to reopen a ticket.

Thank you
  • @MG6 - posting a problem over several posts creates more confusion than it helps
    please continue the solution here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1956/citation-chicago-manual-of-style/#Item_18
This discussion has been closed.