database corrupted?

I have been working with Zotero since quite some time: the library contains about 1600 organised references and (with notes included) about 4000 items.

I work with Windows XP. A few hours ago Firefox started to freeze while using Zotero. I thought it would perhaps be a good idea to install Zotero again.

After installing Zotero again, I replaced the Zotero folder (in the firefox profile) with the zotero folder (the sqlite file and backup and storage) I had been working with.

Every time I replace the folder with the one I was working with I get an error message saying "There was an error starting Zotero."

Before installing Zotero again, I also made a copy of that Zotero folder. Also with that copy I get the same error message. Does this mean both databases are corrupted?

I have to admit that I'm a bit worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • I don't know whether this helps but here is some context:

Firefox started to freeze after I did this: I had saved a wordfile as a webpage, opened it in Firefox and saved it as a snapshot in Zotero.

It was impossible to attach the snapshot to the item I wanted to attach it to.

After dragging it a few times (and trying to attach without success) Firfox did not respond. This happened a few times, which made me decide to install Zotero again.
  • I'm not quite clear what you're doing here. What's the difference between the Zotero folder you replaced and the one you had been working with? Was the one in the Firefox profile not the one you were working with?

Please follow the steps in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page and let us know what errors show up in the console.
  • The zotero folder I was working with before Firefox started to freeze was located in My Documents.

After re-installing Zotero, Zotero used the default location in the Firefox profile. Therefore, I went to the preferences to change the location of the zotero folder. Instead of using the default location, I directed Zotero to the folder (I had been working with) in My Documents. This created the error message ("There was an error starting Zotero") the first time.

I re-installed Zotero a second time and instead of changing the folder location, I replaced the folder in the default location (firefox profiles) with the one I had in My Documents. This created the same error.

This is what the error console says:

Error: dialog has no properties
    Source File: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
    Line: 1

Error: document.frm_login has no properties
    Source File: https://webmail.ugent.be/horde3/imp/?Horde=ea28d32ed0385fd27cedf3c6ea3c161e
    Line: 155

Error: [Exception... "'Zotero 'scrapers' DB version is newer than SQL file' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: :: line 4" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/include.js
    Line: 4

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "ServiceManager::GetService returned failure code:" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero has no properties
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 664

Error: Zotero has no properties
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 380
  • What version of Zotero did you upgrade to? Please use the version available on the front page, 1.0.0b4.r5.

That error message indicates that you upgraded to an older version than you had installed previously.
  • Hm, ok: it works now -- sorry for wasting your time.

When I di the upgrade, I did use the version on the frontpage -- but I forgot that last week I also installed the dev XPI. As far as I knew, nothing seemed to have happened after I installed the dev XPI so I forgot about it, but I can see that stuff was going on I was not aware of.

I have installed the dev XPI again and I can access the database now -- let's hope it stays like that.

Thanks for the trouble.