Problems to save certain pages

Hello,

I am trying Zotero as a tool to keep archived versions of certain pages, and I face problems when I try to save some of them. It may be possible that this is not the main purpose of Zotero, but as it is a feature of this tool, I thought it could still be worthwhile to test.

For exemple, with the local commercial register of Beijing (http://scjgj.beijing.gov.cn/qyxy/), searching for a random company such as this one (讯和创新科技(北京)有限公司), I would like to save the page displaying the search results, then the page displaying information relative to this company.

When I try to save the page with all search results, I can't save it at all, and if I right-click somewhere in the page, and go to Zotero Connector => save to Zotero, I am not given the usual saving options, namely, save webpage with snapshot, or save webpage without snapshot.

Additionally, when I try to save the page displaying information about my company, I dont get a snapshot exactly faithful to the original website. For exemple, at the bottom of the page, on the original website, I have a list of annual reports sorted by year, however this element is missing on Zotero's snapshot. (If somebody can explain to me how to insert screenshots on this forum, I can add screenshots as well.)

So can somebody help me with saving these pages correctly? is it possible to know exactly how Zotero save pages; for example, are there some settings in Zotero that I can change, about how the pages are saved?

If you can help me, thank you in advance!

Francois
  • There's a CAPTCHA on that site that I can't do, so I can't look at that. Do you have another example? You should be able to save from any page, one way or another. When you say you can't save it at all, what happens, exactly? (Don't worry about the page context menu. Just use the toolbar button.)

As for snapshots, Zotero currently uses the same page-saving mechanism as Firefox, and unfortunately it doesn't work that well on all pages, particularly those that modify the page with JavaScript. We're planning to switch to a different saving method that hopefully will better reflect the rendered page as you see it in the browser.
  • Hi, thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately I have only found this problem on websites with Chinese captcha, so I can't yet provide an example with a website that is easier to reach. In the Beijing Register, the captcha is a math operation, usually it's asking to add or multiply the two numbers. After I couple of tries I manage to go past it, but if you don't want to go through that trouble, that's totally understandable.

As about the page that I can't save at all, when I hit the save icon on the top right corner of my browser, I get an item in my zotero collection, but then if I want to open the snapshot, I get the following error message:

"File not found
    The attached file could not be found.
    It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to zotero.org."

I try to open it as soon as it is saved, so I don't think that the file has been moved to another part of the computer. So I think zotero can't save this page at all, but I don't know why.
  • As about the page that I can't save at all, when I hit the save icon on the top right corner of my browser, I get an item in my zotero collection, but then if I want to open the snapshot, I get the following error message: File not found
    Right, so it's saving an item (albeit without the save popup for some reason). It's just not saving a snapshot.

This definitely isn't working, but the constant CAPTCHAs make this site impossible to work with, and it's doing some bizarre things, so I'm afraid this isn't something we can spend time on. If you see this on a less hostile site, we can take a look.
  • All right, if I find another website similar to this Chinese one, I'll update this thread.

Still, thank you for your time and answers :)