Can no longer import from EBSCO host

Between using Zotero on Thursday and Friday last week, I am no longer able to use Zotero to input references from EBSCOHost.

I am using FF2.0 on a mac from behind my Uni's proxy server.
I am not sure if this not working is related to downloading the newer version of Zotero, the use of proxy password details or what.

I get this error message <Error: eventValidation has no properties
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js
Line: 587>

Before I was able to upgrade to the latest version, when FF would start up, it would check for the latest Zotero version and tell me that a new version was available. However, there was difficulty in downloading it, because *I think* that I had not had a chance to enter the password for my proxy server. I eventually did force Zotero to upgrade and since then I have been unable to use the icon in the address bar to add references. If I go to the page of an individual reference and save the citation, Zotero saves the download and enters the citation details - so that part is working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danoz
  • I can confirm the (newly developed) EBSCO problem. Zotero's article icon appears, but clicking it gives Zotero's "Could not save item" error message. running: 1.0b4.r2.r1365 on FF 2.0.0.3, win XP.
  • Ditto
    jclpaul
  • Follow up on problem. Checked Error Console, which stated;

Error: eventValidation has no properties
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js
    Line: 587

Line 587 and further read;
    var returnValue;
    if(this.type == "web") {
    returnValue = this._web();
    } else if(this.type == "import") {
    returnValue = this._import();
    } else if(this.type == "export") {
    returnValue = this._export();
    } else if(this.type == "search") {
    returnValue = this._search();
    }
  • The translator has just been updated and should work now.
  • "The translator has just been updated and should work now." What does that mean/what should I do?
  • Zotero should update to the new translator automatically within 24 hours. You can update manually by going to the Preferences under the Actions (gear) menu and clicking "Update Now".
  • I've updated Zotero (to 1.0.0b4.r5) but I am not able to add entries from Ebsco. I've tried a number of different databases and methods of adding (single articles and the multiple add option), but nothing has worked (including a restart). I get the error message
    "Could Not Save Item. An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information."
    But there's no more information there -- and from what you report here, this problem has already been fixed. But maybe it's back...
  • I can confirm the problem aalleen has with 1.0.0b4.r5. Could you please make EBSCO work again? Thanks a lot!
  • The problem also exits in Zotero 1.0.0b4.r5, w/ Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mac OS X. Same symptoms as aallen has reported. The errors seems to be as below:

[JavaScript Error: "line.replace is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 766}]

I have also submitted this error through the 'Report error' function. Hope Zotero can be working in EBSCO again.

Thanks in advanced :)
  • EBSCO data can be imported using the following steps:
    1. Add items to your Folder
    2. Choose the Export option
    3. Choose "Direct Export to EndNote, ProCite, or Reference Manager"
    4. Click the "Save" button. Items will be imported directly into Zotero

Note: Unlike most web pages, there is NO pop up window that allows you choose specific items to import. EVERYTHING in the folder is imported. This should not be a problem because items would not be in the folder unless you already chose them.

This is a workaround until the Automatic method is fixed.
  • We have repaired the EBSCO translator. Zotero should update to the new translator automatically within 24 hours. You can update manually by going to the Preferences under the Actions (gear) menu and clicking "Update Now".