Moving storage location doesn't update pdf/storage links

I have been using zotero beta for some time, and decided I wanted to have the storage location in a place that I automatically backup. So I changed the location in the preferences worked fine except all the pdf's stored in the profile storage folder no longer work (but the files are still there). If I export the library and import it it works correctly, or if I switch back the location.

I imagine this is some kind of bug in how the attachment links are stored/updated the sqlite database.
  • edited June 9, 2009
    1) Did you move the entire data directory, including the 'storage' folder, after changing the storage location?

2) Were these files linked or imported? Only file names of imported files are stored in the database, so it's not really possible for those to break from just moving the data directory.
  • I used the gui for setting the storage location, and it forced a firefox restart, I imagined it moved everything for me (after checking, it does). That is, I did not move things myself. All files are imported (if this means stored in the storage folder, as opposed to being a link to some other location).

I can reproduce this on three computers (two ubuntu linux, one windows xp) from a fresh install of the latest zotero beta. I will try looking at the sqlite database to see if I can figure out what is going on.
  • Changing the data directory location does not move any files. Unless you move files yourself, you'll have an empty Zotero database upon restart.
  • Is the issue related to whether zotero stores absolute path or relative path for the linked files? I am having similar issue. I moved the entire storage directory for zotero at a different location (and updated the storage location) and all linked files are not found anymore but moving the directory back to its original location fixes everything.

If the paths are absolute paths then the linked files will not be found. Is there a way to specify relative paths? Many people seem to have request it at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2358/homedirrelative-storage-of-linked-files/

Thanks.
  • edited June 10, 2009
    ggellner claimed to be referring to imported, not linked, files, and as I said above, only filenames of imported files are stored.