preprint journals and definitive publications

Is it possible to couple the definitive publicationto the preprint when it is added in BioRXiv like:
Prefrontal Cortex as a Meta-Reinforcement Learning System
Jane X. Wang, Zeb Kurth-Nelson, Dharshan Kumaran, Dhruva Tirumala, Hubert Soyer, Joel Z. Leibo, Demis Hassabis, Matthew Botvinick
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/295964
Now published in Nature Neuroscience doi: 10.1038/s41593-018-0147-8
  • I don't think so. What do you mean by "couple" though -- what would you want this to look like? Zotero does have a "related" function you could use.
  • Thx. BioRxiv articles are published after peer review in "regular" journals, see above. I can find that via the DOI of the BioRxiv article and then download the "regular article" and remove the BioRxiv article (which is redundant then). But often there is no "regular" article, or it is published much later. It would be much easier if I could see in any way (via metadata?) whether there has been added a "Now published in ....". I suppose this is not possible, but wanted to ask anyway.
  • edited April 20, 2019
    Linking pre-prints to formal prints would be a nice feature in Zotero. @petermoleman Does BioRXiv have queryable metadata linking the two items? Does BioRXiv have an API to query the metadata for these pointers?
  • Thx hughp3, you ask my question in the professional way. Does anybody have answers to hughp3's questions?
  • Technically the metadata _should_ exist at the DOI level (i.e. at CrossRef), though I don't know how reliable it is.

Currently we wouldn't have a good way to make much of that in Zotero though even where it exists.