Importing Colleagues Endnote Reference List to Zotero - Firefox Crash

Hi,

I'm currently writing a paper with a colleague. He uses Endnote X2. He turned the reference list that we will be using into a txt file and sent it to me (followed the directions from the Zotero webpage). I received the email and saved the file to my desktop. I then opened the "Gear" drop-down menu and selected import. Found the txt file and selected it. Everything looked like it was going well...and then Firefox crashed. I tried it twice and crashed the browser both times.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan
  • Define "crashed". If you just mean "froze", then wait—assuming the file is in the correct format, it's likely still importing.
  • Thanks Dan,

It didn't freeze. It closed out Firefox completely. I actually got a message that Firefox had crashed and it wanted to know if I wanted to restart my old session, start a new session and notify Firefox of the crash. We did use the steps outlined in the link you provided.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bryan
  • edited June 10, 2009
    How big is the file you're trying to import?

Have you tried disabling other Firefox extensions?

What version of Firefox?
  • The file is 2.48 MB. I haven't tried disabling other Firefox Extensions - how would I do that/which Extensions would I look for - pretty new to Firefox (switched over for Zotero)? I can email the txt file to you if seeing it would help - let me know.

Thanks for your help.
    Bryan
  • It's the latest version of Firefox - just downloaded 3 days ago.

Bryan
  • I haven't tried disabling other Firefox Extensions - how would I do that
    Tools->Add-ons->Extensions, click Disable on every extension other than Zotero, restart, try again. If you have any other programs that affect Firefox (e.g., firewall/security/anti-virus software, password managers, etc.), you may want to try disabling those as well.

If this still happens with all other extensions and related applications disabled, it pretty much indicates a Firefox bug, since Zotero alone can't really crash Firefox.
    It's the latest version of Firefox
    So, 3.0.10? If you switched just for Zotero, you might consider trying the latest Firefox 3.5 beta.
  • 2.4MB sounds very big for an RIS file. It sounds to me like you might be trying to import the wrong file format. Also if there are attached pdfs in that database you'll need to make sure that you translate the relevant field in the RIS file from "internalpdf://" to "file://C:\absolute\path\to\endnote\storage\directory\" for zotero to attach the PDFs properly.
  • Dan - you the man! I downloaded the Beta version and the files imported without an issue. Didn't have to disable any of the extensions. Although, now when I open the firefox browser a dialogue box opens asking if I want to save the exe. file that I used to download the beta version - any suggestions on this? I just cancel it. But, this will be annoying if it keeps happening. I tried to save it and then remove from the download list but it just kept popping up when I opened the browser.

Thanks for the help - this saved a lot of work.

Kieren - thanks as well. No pdfs were attached - but thanks for the thought.

Bryan