Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

edited March 31, 2019
Hello, I am working on a large Google docs (>130 citations). When creating the bibliography this message appeared:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

InternalError: Cannot find method addNamedRange(string,number).
at Code (Zotero Google Docs Integration):196 (encodeRange)
at Code (Zotero Google Docs Integration):641
at Code (Zotero Google Docs Integration):427
at Code (Zotero Google Docs Integration):413
at Code (Zotero Google Docs Integration):72 (callMethod)

The bibliography appears, but I can see the html code, i.e. the list starts with: <div class="csl-bib-body">.

Any idea on how to correct it?

Thank you,
Albert
  • What citation style are you using?
  • It was Science style, but style does not seem to matter: I can change it and both references and bibliography format will update (but the bibliography list will appear mixed with code at the start and end of each entry)
  • Does it work well in a new document? Does your Science style come from Zotero or have you modified it yourself?
  • I did not modify the style, it comes from Zotero. This happens with any Zotero style.

When I copy it to a new document, it does not work either. I can copy section by section, it works up to a point but it then stops updating the reference list.
  • Does inserting a bibliography work in a new document? You should insert a couple of citations into a new document manually instead of copying anything.
  • A couple of citations works, but when I continue (pasting paragraph by paragraph) it stops working, it converts the citations to regular text and no longer updates the bibliography.
  • I mean, do you see the html code in a bibliography in a new document, or does it update properly?
  • I do not see the html code in the bibliography of the new document containing only two citations (looks OK); however, it does not update when I add new citations.
  • Does the original document work well if you make a copy by going into File -> Make a Copy?
  • It does not; there is the same problem.
  • You should try the step 8 of the debugging broken documents instructions in the copy of this document.
  • As I mentioned above Zotero stops updating the bibliography the second time I paste a paragraph (regardless of which paragraph it is); thus, I cannot use this iterative process to identify the 'broken' citation. Is there any way that Zotero can flag it?
  • Hello, circling back--does anybody know of a way to restore (or identify) broken citations?
  • Do you use any other google docs plugins in this document? If you can produce a small sample that breaks (i.e. after copying one paragraph) the bibliography permanentaly in a document, could you send a link to it (after enabling sharing) to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • (although if you have messed around with the field codes in the document then you should restore to the version before changing them. we cannot account for any errors produced by changing field codes)