Apa with footnotes

Hello,

I am using Z on OSx 10.8.5 on a Mac book pro, I have the Word and Chrome plugins.

I want to cite APA style but with footnotes, although that is not specifically available when creating a bibliography. Is that particular format not supported or is there a work around? Or perhaps I just overlooked the answer somewhere else?

Thanks
  • what do you mean by APA with footnotes? The APA manual very specifically requires citations to appear in text in parentheses, so if you don't want that, you don't want APA. Which aspect of APA do you need and for what purpose?
  • edited September 29, 2013
    Whoops, I meant endnotes. I see that it comes in parentheses, this is all I have to go off of for citation requirements.

"Submissions must be fully referenced in APA styled format with endnotes. "

Im not familiar with that style, hence what led me to Z. Would it just be a APA style bibliography and use endnotes instead of parentheses?
  • I would look at an example. Are these journal instructions? Do you have a link?
    "Fully referenced in APA styled format with endnotes"
    is a contradiction in terms, I have no idea what they might mean by that.

If this is for the Rutgers Bioethics journal, I'd just use any note style (Chicago Manual Full Note, e.g.) and set it to endnotes. The references in the journal are all over the place, the one thing they're most definitely not is APA (not even close - it's not like they have APA citations in the endnotes, either).
  • edited February 25, 2014
    Hello,

I am using Zotero on OSx 10.8.5 on a Mac book pro, I have Word and Firefox plugins.

I follow-up this discussion as I have a similar issue. I have to submit an article with APA style footnotes (not endnotes) and bibliography... For the bibliography it is fine but when I want to add a "citation" it produces:

>>> (Name, Year)

but as I understand, they want also the footnotes in style:

>>> Surname, N. (Year). Title (# ed.). City: Publisher.

How can I do it? Or do there is a style allowing me to have the same result?

Thank you in advance,
    best.
  • I don't think so. As I say above, there is no such thing as "APA style footnotes/endnotes". If you're putting citations into footnotes you're no longer using APA style. So it's entirely unclear what they want. What is this for?
  • Thank you for your answer.

It is for legal/political sciences conference for which I applied and has been selected. The fact is they sent a very few guidances and they are not very clear.
    I sent them an e-mail and will see with them.

As I am a new user of Zotero, I wanted to be sure that I didn't missed something.

Thank you again.
  • unfortunately I can't tell you want to use and I don't think we have a style that uses something like

>>> Surname, N. (Year). Title (# ed.). City: Publisher.

in a footnotes. I'd just pick and either use APA with regular in-text citations, or use Chicago Manual of Style (full notes) which produces nice and consistent footnotes. I can't imagine a conference would care that much about citation style - at least in political science they never do.
  • I just tried and it seems nice and not that far from the result. I might use this one, or may be OSCOLA which is more different but I am used to it.
  • I was wondering why Zotero doesn't use first name initial and middle name initial in reference list citation in APA? Shouldn't it do this?
  • not sure I understand the question? Zotero uses initials in APA bibliographies.
  • When Zotero enters the information into the reference list, it only uses the "first" name initial of the author, and not both. For example, John L. Smith's work in the reference list would begin with
    Smith, J. (year) instead of Smith, J. L. (year). Are both acceptable in APA?
  • that's not the case. If you have "Smith, John L." in the author field in Zotero, it will give you "Smith, J. L." with APA style. Double check the data in Zotero if that's not the case
  • I just wanted to clarify there haven't been any updates here. I have a large document to submit as an appendix along with an even larger document that is already published. The citations in the main document are all formatted with APA guidelines, but are shown in the form of footnotes. Is there any pre-made style to assist with this process? Is it possible to create a style with these specifications? Or would it be more simple to break links, and go through the document and insert footnotes one by one? Thank you.
  • It's possible to create such a style, absolutely. Right now I don't understand what it looks like. Are the full APA references in footnotes or the autor-date citations?
  • Thanks for the quick reply! The full APA references are in the footnotes.
  • That's a bit more involved to do -- also leaves a number of questions open (e.g.: what happen for the 2nd citation? How are specific page numbers cited).
    The basics are to move the contents of the bibliography and have them replace the citation section in APA style and change the style's class from "in-text" to "note"

See https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step for general instructions.
  • This looks very involved to modify an existing style with these considerations. I will perform this manually by breaking links and copying out of the reference list at the end of the document. Thank you for the guidance.
  • I can certainly modify the style for you.

Two questions: What should the second reference to the same item look like (the same, shortened, etc.)? How should page numbers appear?

If you just want a numbered list at the end of the document with APA references, rather than endnotes per se, try this style:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bwiernik/zotero-tools/master/apa-numeric.csl
  • Thank you for your offer! This may save our team time for future report publications. If this is too much trouble, I'll revert to the manual method.

Below are the specific details that hopefully address your questions:

-What should the second reference to the same item look like (the same, shortened, etc.)? (I believe this could be shortened if there is a standard for this, or full length is fine)
    -How should page numbers appear? (If I understand your question correctly, as dictated by APA 5th edition guidelines - e.g. pp. 107-123: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/reference_list_books.html)

Specific style request:

-Footnotes (not endnotes) to capture each reference.
    -Second reference to the same item could be shortened as appropriate - if this is unclear, leaving the full citation for the second reference is okay.
    -Multiple references on a sentence would be separated by superscript commas (if possible).
    -A bibliography option to insert the list of references at the end of the document.
    -APA 5th Edition (this is an older version, but was the requirement for our submission. However, since this could be used for future purposes and other Zotero users, maybe the current - 6th Edition - would be better, and is probably not much different). https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=apa

Thank you again!
  • The question re: page numbers would be for specific references. So for in text you would do (Smith, 1776, pp. 2-5).

For footnotes, would they also be at the end of the reference after a comma? Including where items already have a page range (like chapters or journal articles)?

There is no standard short form for APA, though it would obviously be possible to just use author(s) and short title, but that'd not be standard (but then, again, neither is putting APA in footnotes...). Since bwiernik offered to customize for you, just make a call?
  • I understand now about the page numbers, thank you. I think keeping with the same style would be fine. In other words, having the page numbers appear after a comma.

Lets keep the references at full length.

Thanks to both of you!
  • Thank you very much!