Zotero data directory

This discussion was created from comments split from: Moving Zotero Data Directory.
  • I'd appreciate a clarification about the ambiguity Zotero data directory versus my data directory. e.g. This(1) is where I want Zotero to find my pdfs (e.g. on external disk), and this(2) is where Zotero should generate its internal folder structure. I only see one option, so which function does that option serve? What actually happens when I say "Restore to Online"? Thanks.
  • (It's better to start a new thread unless your question is very closely related to an existing one. I've moved this to a new thread.)

The Zotero data directory is where Zotero stores files that it manages for you.

You can also configure a Linked Attachment Base Directory and use linked files, generally with the third-party ZotFile plugin, to automatically move files to an external directory as linked files.

On the difference between stored and linked files: https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#file_copies_and_links

Neither is really where Zotero "finds" your files, but I'm not sure what you mean by that.
    What actually happens when I say "Restore to Online"?
    That's not related to the above at all. Is that meant to be a separate question? If so, it's better to ask in the thread you already have where use of that option was suggested to you.