Google Doc: citations converted to plain text

2»
  • @adomasven
    Until now, I always _cut_ and pasted citations. But because you asked to _copy_ and paste, I did so, and then the pasted citation is working as it should!
    I did get some warnings in the Developer Console, but no errors: https://pastebin.com/e119Pdjs

I'm now trying to see if copy/paste, as opposed to cut/paste, also works in my large 'real' document. And then I will also send you a next pastebin with the result of a cut/paste.
  • copy/paste seems indeed to work, also in my original, 70 page, 160 citations document.
    cut/paste does not generate an error immediately after pasting, but it does when I try to edit the citation: https://pastebin.com/zZ5qU7h6
  • Last test for today: when I first copy/paste a citation, and then delete the first citation - thereby making it a 'two step' cut/paste, everything seems to work. I'll continue testing tomorrow, but it seems that I thereby have some workaround for my problem. Not really elegant, but...
  • Copying has always worked, although if you remove the original citation before interacting with Zotero in some way, e.g. by adding another citation, editing, etc, the duplicated citation will stop working too.

You are not seeing the proper functionality though, where if you cut a citation and then paste it, there is a brief screen for Zotero while it works on the document to update the newly pasted citation. It would be very helpful if you kept on testing with us so we can figure out why this isn't working for you and potentially other users and fix it for all. I will have more things to test tomorrow.
  • I do see the brief screen saying that Zotero is updating, and I always wait until this screen disappears before trying to edit the pasted citation.
  • You do? Even when testing the cutting and pasting that eventually failed?
  • Yes, even when cutting and pasting.

I then wait until the screen disappears, and then put my cursor inside the citation. I get, as expected, the menu to edit. When I click on this, Zotero 'works' for some time, and then gives the error message.
    After that, the citation has become plain tekst.
  • I'm experiencing the same issue, using the Beta Connector, and some (but not all) citations get unlinked even after copy/paste if I delete the original text.
  • Is someone still investigating this problem? What more information do you need from us?
  • @ppraet Sorry for the delay. We have pushed some additional changes to the Beta Connector that will hopefully fix this properly. Please try testing again.
  • @adomasven This looks very promising.
    I've done a few tests, also with my original large document, and it looks like cutting & pasting now works indeed. Let's wait for @szia to see if his problem is also gone.
    Thank you already for your persistence in chasing this bug.
  • Thank you @adomasven, from a few tests, it seems to work fine for me as well now, @ppraet
  • Great news and thanks for all the testing! The change is now available in the stable Connector release for both Firefox and Chrome
  • Yo Zotero friends,

I'm experiencing similar problems. I'm using Google docs with Chrome on Windows. Conector version 5.0.55, and Zotero version 5.0.64.

After banging around trying to understand the issue for a while I found that it is related to cutting a chunk with citations. Once it is cut, when pasted it, it becomes unlinked, unless I use Ctrl-Z. When I use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V and later delete the copied chunk, I'm OK. When I use the Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V when the chunk has one or more citations, the pasted citations are unlinked and bibliography turns out to be incomplete or not sorted. Examples...

Step one make insertions and bibliography:

Bla Bla bla.(1) Ble Ble ble.(2)

Bli Bli Bli.(3) Blo Blo Blo.(4)

Bibliography

1. Antunes de Brito CA, Teixeira MG. Increased number of deaths during a chikungunya epidemic in Pernambuco, Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017 Sep;112(9):650–1.
    2. Brito CAA de. Alert: Severe cases and deaths associated with Chikungunya in Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50(5):585–9.
    3. Dorléans F, Hoen B, Najioullah F, Herrmann-Storck C, Schepers KM, Abel S, et al. Outbreak of Chikungunya in the French Caribbean Islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe: Findings from a Hospital-Based Surveillance System (2013-2015). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018 Apr 23;98(6):1819–25.
    4. Godaert L., Bartholet S., Dorléans F., Najioullah F., Dramé M., Fanon J.-L. Prediction of inhospital mortality in elderly patients with Chikungunya virus infection in Martinique (French West-Indies). Eur Geriatr Med. 2017;8(Supplement 1):S191–2.

Step two Ctrl-C the second paragraph and Ctrl-V before first paragraph and refresh (Ok as expected. Insertion and Bibliography are updated as expected.):

Bli Bli Bli.(1) Blo Blo Blo.(2)

Bla Bla bla.(3) Ble Ble ble.(4)

Bli Bli Bli.(1) Blo Blo Blo.(2)

Bibliography

1. Dorléans F, Hoen B, Najioullah F, Herrmann-Storck C, Schepers KM, Abel S, et al. Outbreak of Chikungunya in the French Caribbean Islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe: Findings from a Hospital-Based Surveillance System (2013-2015). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018 Apr 23;98(6):1819–25.
    2. Godaert L., Bartholet S., Dorléans F., Najioullah F., Dramé M., Fanon J.-L. Prediction of inhospital mortality in elderly patients with Chikungunya virus infection in Martinique (French West-Indies). Eur Geriatr Med. 2017;8(Supplement 1):S191–2.
    3. Antunes de Brito CA, Teixeira MG. Increased number of deaths during a chikungunya epidemic in Pernambuco, Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017 Sep;112(9):650–1.
    4. Brito CAA de. Alert: Severe cases and deaths associated with Chikungunya in Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50(5):585–9.

Step three... back to step one and Ctrl-X the second paragraph and Ctrl-V before first paragraph and refresh (Not OK. Pasted citations are unlinked as soon refresh runs.):

Bli Bli Bli.(3) Blo Blo Blo.(4)

Bla Bla bla.(1) Ble Ble ble.(2)

Bibliography

1. Antunes de Brito CA, Teixeira MG. Increased number of deaths during a chikungunya epidemic in Pernambuco, Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017 Sep;112(9):650–1.
    2. Brito CAA de. Alert: Severe cases and deaths associated with Chikungunya in Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50(5):585–9.

After messing around a lot my manuscript with unlinked citations I figured out that I should never use Ctrl-X on Google docs with chunks with citations.

Can anyone reproduce this test? Is this with me only?

Regards to all.
  • You should be on version 5.0.55 of the connector currently. If you do, then every time you paste a copied or cut citations Zotero should display an overlay over a document indicating that it is updating your citations. Cutting and pasting citations with version 5.0.55 works for me without problems.
  • Greetings @adomasven,

I was using conector 5.0.55 from start. After your comment I tried using firefox instead o Chrome and it worked. Then I realized that I was using Chrome 69, instead of the latest 73. After updating Chrome it worked on Chrome too.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards to all.
  • Hi There,

Just to say that I am still experiencing this issue.
    Last versions of chrome 79.0.3945.130
    last version of zotero connector 5.0.61
    Google docs, and yes, copy-pasting or cut-pasting don't work, even after reboot.

Best,
  • @bergenneuro do you have the Zotero Connector installed in the browser where you are editing the document? Copy-pasting will not work without the Zotero Connector. If you do, when you copy and paste some text with Zotero citations do you see a Zotero is working overlay appear momentarily? If not, can you reproduce it in a new document?
  • Hi @adomasven ,

yes it is installed as you can see with the version number and yes I can reproduce the issue when creating a new document.
    Although the zotero overlay is always present, it searches for a lookup and then throws the "Zotero
    Selected field null not returned from Docs backend
    "

Thank you for your support ++
  • Disable any other extensions in chrome and see if it works better in a new document
  • Hello There,

Sorry I was away. I tried, disabling all the extensions but zotero and I have the same issues event in a new document.
  • This is not a general issue and still seems most likely like a browser issue. Can you create a new chrome profile, only install the Zotero Connector into it and try in a new document?
  • Sorry even that did not work, new session, only zotero connector installed, new document and same error message.
  • And the connector works with firefox !
  • Do you mean citing with Google Docs works in Firefox? Could you record a video of the citation failure in chrome, upload it somewhere (like dropbox) and link it here?
  • edited February 11, 2020
    Same here, I'm copy-pasting a word document with zotero citations to gdoc open in chrome browser (firefox too isn't working) and it only copies plain text without citations...
    The browser recognise new zotero citations made in the gdoc.
  • @Fil_ See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/moving_documents_between_word_processors

If you are unsure if your problem is different from the original topic do not hesitate to create a new thread.
  • Thanks adomasven!

it' a pity that the process dosen't support the copy-paste workflow