[Solved] Zotero Connector shortcut conflict with Firefox

edited February 21, 2019
In the current Firefox Nightly (v67), `Ctrl + Shift +s` is now used to trigger the screenshot functionality but if Zotero Connector is installed you can't use it. This is due because Zotero Connector also use that shortcut and seems to override Firefox's one.

Here's a few possible solution that could resolve this issue :

- Modifying the default
- Add the ability to change the default shortcut
- Add the ability to deactivate the shortcut
  • I think it's actually somewhat random whether extension shortcuts override built-in ones. On my Mac, I get the screenshot functionality rather than the Zotero Connector for Cmd-Shift-S in 67. On Windows, Ctrl-Shift-S was previously the shortcut for the debugger in the developer tools, but only some people got that instead of the Connector. (For what it's worth, we've used this shortcut for many more years.)

In any case, the proper solution is for Firefox to make these things configurable, and Firefox 67, in fact, includes a new UI for configuring extension shortcuts — see "Manage Extension Shortcuts" in the gear menu in about:addons. I don't believe there's a way to configure the many built-in shortcuts (e.g., the huge number of devtools shortcuts) the way you used to be able to do with the keyconfig XUL extension, but hopefully they'll add that at some point. Given that extension shortcuts are configurable, I also think it'd make sense for those to reliably override built-in ones.

(For what it's worth, while I don't actually see the screenshot functionality anywhere in the menus yet, at least on macOS if they added it to a menu you'd be able to configure it via the system prefs, since you can override the shortcut for any menu item in any program.)
  • > Firefox 67, in fact, includes a new UI for configuring extension shortcuts — see "Manage Extension Shortcuts" in the gear menu in about:addons.

Oh thanks. They could have make it more easy to find :S. It seems like I can change it but not let it empty. Guess I'll report a bug upstream.

Thanks again!