order of references citations

when I insert several citations together, they are not sorted by order of appearance

Example: (153,154,147,152,151,140,136,148,149,132,135,150,133,146,134).
It should be presented like (132-136,140,146-154)

What I should do?
Thanks
  • which citation style?
  • I dind't insert the bibliography, so I didn't select any citation style
  • That's not possible. You can't insert Zotero citations without selecting a style. Check under Document Preferences.
  • Now I tryed inserting in vanvouver style
  • Even if you havent inserted a bibliography Zotero still needs you you to select a style to be able to format the reference numbers. But you likely did select a style because you are seeing numbers and not an author and a date.
  • I already insert de the bibliografy in vancouver style, but the problem it's still remaning
  • Try clicking the refresh button -- generally speaking, Vancouver style will always sort in-text citations, so something isn't right. This is in Word with the Word add-on?
  • I click refresh button all the time without any change
    I am using microsoft word 360 with zotero 5.0.60. I have the desktop aplication and the word plug in that installs automaticaly
  • How about in a new document with just a couple of test citations, does it look right there?

And in the existing document does this affect all citations? Does it affect new citations?
  • @hugotaolarca Please reply with the version number of Zotero you are using. Also, does your style name say exactly that it is "Vancouver" or does the style have some other name or does it have a name Vancouver-something?

@adamsmith I seem to remember that there are Vancouver flavors that do not consolidate consecutive reference numbers.
  • The above should never occur in an existing numeric style, though it's possible there are broken ones on the repository -- I don't think so, though. (Even alphabetically sorting numeric styles should sort number sequentially within a single citation.)

I'm assuming "Vancouver" here means the pre-installed Vancouver style, though, we would indeed want to know if that's not the case. It's more likely, though, that something else is going on here.
  • I have been working in a huge docuement for long time without any troubles.
    Nevertheless, since yesterday zotero generates this problem
    I use pre-installed Vancouver style, but I try changing the style to Chicago and is the same.
  • @adamsmith, Does Zotero still have an option to turn citation sorting on and off, and is it available in numeric styles?
  • @fbennett yes and yes -- if this is only a problem in a single citation that'd have been the next thing I had asked about.

@hugotaolarca -- I'm asking specific questions for troubleshooting. I can only help understand what's going wrong if you answer them precisely. Currently still unclear on all three of these:
    How about in a new document with just a couple of test citations, does it look right there?

And in the existing document does this affect all citations? Does it affect new citations?
  • How about in a new document with just a couple of test citations, does it look right there? YES

And in the existing document does this affect all citations? NO
    Does it affect new citations? YES
  • Go to document preferences -- is automatically update citations checked? Try what happens if you check it.
    The citations should update on Refresh, but what you describe still sounds like that the lack of automatic update is causing this.