Style Request: [Brain: A journal of neurology]

Dear All,

I think Zotero is great and of great help in research. After starting a request I thought I might not have been specific enough or followed the guidlines....
After trying to create the above mentioned style by myself and not having any experiance in programming I would kindly ask for help again for the creation of a new citation style. In addition I tryed the Endnote Version but it did not work properly so I came back to the CSL Version and would like to ask for help here.

Style's details:
I am looking for a citation style for Brain: A journal of neurology.

Similar style:
It is a combination out of
1. IN TEXT: British Psychological Society
2. REFERENCE LIST: The Vancouver Style.

Differences from similar style:
1. IN TEXT (British Psychological Society):
- Instead of the “&” like in (Heinrich & Bach, 2001) it uses an “and” to seperate two authors.

2. REFERENCE LIST (The Vancouver Style):
- The Reference List is in alphabetical order and not numbered.
- There is no space character after the year of publication.
- A space character should be placed after the semicolon after the year.
- Simply the Volume should be displayed (no Issue or Month)

Link to style guide:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/brainj/for_authors/general.html

Free Copy:
http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/132/2/288.pdf

Example:

IN TEXT:
(Ness and Wood, 2002; Hsieh et al., 2004; Butovsky et al., 2006)

REFERENCE LIST
Awasaki T, Tatsumi R, Takahashi K, Arai K, Nakanishi Y, Ueda R, et al. Essential role of the apoptotic cell engulfment genes draper and ced-6 in programmed axon pruning during Drosophila metamorphosis. Neuron 2006; 50: 855–67.

Barger SE. Establishing a nursing center: learning from the literature and the experiences of others. J Prof Nurs 1995; 11: 203–12.

Thank you for your kind help und support in advance. In addition I like to thank Adam.Smith for his comments.
  • edited March 15, 2009
    Style added (see http://www.zotero.org/styles for "Brain"). I just verified whether journal entries formatted okay, so the output of other item types will probably still contain some errors. Feel free to list any deviations from the Brain style guide.
  • Dear Rintze,
    thanks a mill. This is amazing. I tested it and so far it is perfect. I did not check for all items yet.
    This is such a great help. Thank you very much.
    Kind regards
    Timtom
  • I've noticed that the multiple-citation by the same author, same year letter disambiguation doesn't seem to be working properly.

It's looks like a similar issue that came up in the Zotero forum titled: "2.1b1 bug in citing multiple same authors, year"
    And was addressed by fbennett with respect to the Cell Journal style.

I've attempted to copy bits of the Cell style into the Brain style but can't seem to find the right lines.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • Okay - looks like if the following line is removed form the <citation> loop:

<option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/>

Then the suffix letters start to operate.

In the hope of making this clear. When a the first author has multiple publications with the same year, Brain requires this to be disambiguated by a letter:

(Watkins et al., 2002a)
    (Watkins et al., 2002b)

When the above "disambiguate-add-names" line of code is included, then the following occurs, in spite of the <option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/> line appearing earlier:

(Watkins, Dronkers et al., 2002)
    (Watkins, Vargha-Khadem et al., 2002)

The Brain instructions to authors doesn't currently state the use of this rule but indicates that you need to check their current issue for the latest conventions. An instance of this occurs for Hudson et al., 2007 in a current article (Brain (2011) 134 (1): 220-234. doi: 10.1093/brain/awq276)
  • @nbadcock: notwithstanding the behavior you observe, is removing that option really what you recommend? Take a look at the CSL spec description and see if it makes sense.

http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#citation-specific-options
  • Hi Bruce,

I've had a look at the documentation and I think it's still my recommendation. For the Brain style, there's not an instance (that I can find) where additional names are required for disambiguation - only the first author's name is ever used for in text citations where a citation has 3 or more authors. So it's seems fine to remove that line.

Is that what you were getting at or is there something else to be considered?
  • I was just emailed the most recent template from this journal. One thing that should be updated is that the letter following the year should be italicized. For example,

....AuthorName (2009a)

the "a" should be italicized and in this template it is not at the moment.

Thanks for providing this!