Can't update document error message.

Report ID: 1109374995

I am getting the following error:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

this.state.registry.registry[Item.id] is undefined"

I have tried all the debugging steps 1-8 and none of them have solved the problem.
  • Does it work in a new document? Step 8 of the debugging instructions should help you identify the snippet of the document that is causing the issue. Did you not manage to find such snippet?
  • It seemed to work fine in a new document, but no, I didn't identify the snippet. It worked in both halves.
  • And if you copy both halves of the document into a new document, you get the same error? Could you produce a Report ID after seeing this error from the integration?
  • Yes. Here you go: ID 1757552297

Thanks.
  • This is really odd, but you can still use the slightly modified instructions of the step 8 to figure out the problem. Split the document into 2 halves: A, B. Then take a half of B and paste it at the end of A. See if you get the error. Keep splitting the B part into halves and pasting that into the A document until you identify the snippet that causes the issue.
  • Do you think this this something that is specific to the document or is there something wrong with one of the reference records in my Zotero library? If it's document specific, I am at the very end of this manuscript and can add the last few references by hand. It is not a good time investment for me if this is only a one off. It's already taken me several hours. If it's something that could recur, then obviously I need to identify what exactly the problem is.
  • It is very likely document specific. The halving technique shouldn't take you more than 7 or 8 steps to identify the problematic part of the document even if it is over 200 pages long and is designed to be a quick way to troubleshoot issues.
  • OK, found the problem. But it was still 2-3 hours' work in total dealing with it. Do you know what causes these problems so I can reduce the chance of it happening in the future?

And thanks so much for your help.
  • Do you know what causes these problems so I can reduce the chance of it happening in the future?
    That depends on what the issue was. How did you solve it? Generally any kind of document corruption can cause errors like that, as well as bugs in Zotero (although the last few version seem to have been free of errors like this).
  • Just added blocks of text piecemeal until the problem recurred. Then typed the last paragraph in again by hand and added the references fresh. It was in the final paragraph. But not sure why copying and pasting that half of the document into a blank doc didn't reproduce the problem.

Also, I have the latest version. First thing I try after rebooting is downloading latest versions.
  • Zotero updates automatically and your report ID suggests you have the latest version so you have nothing to do in that regard. If you have the version of this document that was broken could you send the snippet of text that was the ultimate cause of the issue to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • Done. Thank you.