PDF Drag n drop problem

Hello,

Until recently I haven't used any reference manager. I've tried Mendeley and liked so much, but I would like to use some open-source solution and Zotero seems to be the best option.

I'm also a Dropbox premium user and like to use my reference library in Dropbox. I've followed every tutorial on Youtube and read every thread I found about that.

I've set my "Linked Attachment Base Directory" to my Dropbox folder.
I've also downloaded Zotfile and set the "Custom Location" at Zotfile Preferences to the same Dropbox folder.

That said, I have a TON of PDFs in USB thumb drives and other sources that I need to import into Zotero.

To my surprise when I drag those PDFs into Zotero it stores it under a folder in /Zotero/storage/. It does not make a copy into Dropbox to the folder I've set before.

No matter what I try, it's the same problem.

The only way to do Zotero make a copy of my files is adding it through DOI/ISBN magic wand icon. But it seems so stupid/dumb/unproductive to do that for my more than 2.500 PDFs that I'm almost coming back to Mendeley, where I didn't had any of these problems.

Can anyone please help me?
It's my last attempt.
  • Hello,

I still don't have an answer!
  • Are you able to move files individually using "Manage attachments --> Rename attachments"?
  • Interesting. When i "rename attachments" it gets moved to the folder i chose.

It seems like a solution, but I have to do this always? Doesn't seem very intuitive.

Another problem: my "Source folder for attaching new files" in ZotFile is not updating. I move a file to that folder and it doesn't appear at Zotero.
  • ZotFile is based on the idea the PDF files are attached to Zotero items. It moves files that are attached to Zotero items automatically, but it doesn't move top level PDF files. Now that Zotero automatically runs retrieve metadata for PDFs, I think it might make sense for ZotFile to move the attachments once that's done, but I'm not sure when the developer will get to that.

For your purpose, I guess the easiest way to handle this would be to import all PDF files, then run rename on all of them to move them as desired.

You'd still have to run ZotFile's rename every time you import a PDF that way, but that wouldn't be the standard way of adding new items -- when adding via the browser, Zotero will move the attached files automatically.
  • I am having this same issue. When I import a new reference from an online journal with the PDF, it doesn't save it to the Dropbox folder that I have indicated in the Zotero settings. It continues to place it in the default location. What am I missing to change that setting so that I can access these files on all the computers I need to use to reference my PDFs?
  • I have the same issue, but interestingly, it's only when I'm trying to use Zotfile in a group library. In My Library, Zotfile puts the files where I told it to. In Group, it puts it in the (undesired and unspecified) default place. Sounds like a bug alright.
  • @anderbeck: Not a bug. Zotero doesn't support linked files in groups.
  • Hi,

I am going through this as I am a new Zotero user and trying to set up everything. In 2018, @adamsmith wrote:"Now that Zotero automatically runs retrieve metadata for PDFs, I think it might make sense for ZotFile to move the attachments once that's done, but I'm not sure when the developer will get to that." So I was wondering if anybody has an update on this?
  • No update -- the ZotFile developer couldn't get that to work, I believe.