Cannot find pdftotext or pdftoinfo & Also cannot find 'Retrieve metadata from PDF' either

Hi, there

I am using window 10 and downloaded the latest version of zotero desktop but i cannot find pdftotext or pdftoinfo on search under preference and also i cannot find 'retrieve metadata from pdf' on right click dropdown on the pdf either. Can you please help? Many thanks
  • The pdftools now come bundled with Zotero, so no need to install them manually.

Retrieve Metadata is only shown for PDF items that are not already attached to a parent item.
  • As I already mentioned, it's the latest version and i cannot still see them. Also, even with pdf alone, i cannot find 'retrieve metadata from pdf' on the right click dropdown. that's why these are issues. I wish i could attach some screenshots here. can you please give me some solutions please? many thanks
  • Like I said, there is no preference to see in current Zotero—the tools just are installed. You can take a screenshot of the right click menu and upload to Dropbox or Imgur or similar and post a link here.
  • I understand now that there is nothing to do on that preference screen any more, so i got it and for the second issue with retrieving metadata from pdf, it's kind of sorted as well but when i was trying to retrieve the metadata, it says, "No matching reference found" - is it because there is no reference matched to certain databas nor google scholar? Please advise me on this too. many thanks
  • I have got an app issue too - i cannot get through the payment even if i have money in that account, is it an issue with zotero or google? Do i have to create a new discussion on different issue or can i put all in one thread? thanks
  • For the metadata retrieval, that means that Zotero can’t find any metadata for that item using its lookup tools (Zotero doesn’t use Google Scholar). You can either search for it online and import it, then drag the pdf to the new item, or you can right click on it and choose Create Parent Item and enter the info manually.

For the payment, the best bet is to email storage@zotero.org with details.
  • thanks so much. I am learning a lot about zotero quickly so have many questions so please bear with me. Few more questions:
    1) i cannot split the screen into two panels so that's not possible any more?
    2) some suggested i should backup to external drive but if i can backup to online version, why should need external drive? obviously, it's because of storage size, correct? just to confirm, apart from having to pay for the storage, is there any other reasons why i should get an external drive rather than just online storage please?
    3) i couldn't download the latest version of zotero into my Acer laptop (window 10), any advice?
    4) is there any way i can import playlist from youtube to zotero instead of having to bring it one by one? or from evernote or excel?
    5) most importantly, i added my university link as resolver but when i was trying to open it, it couldn't find the link or proxy. not sure why

thanks for your prompt responses
  • 1) i cannot split the screen into two panels so that's not possible any more?
    Not sure what you mean here but if you're referring to Firefox, see A Unified Zotero Experience.
    2) some suggested i should backup to external drive but if i can backup to online version, why should need external drive?
    The online version can help you if you lose data but it isn't a true backup, because if you use auto-sync any changes you make are synced there immediately and there's no version history. But this doesn't really have much to do with Zotero — you should have full, automated, regular backups of all important data (or your entire hard drive) to an external drive or online backup service.
    3) i couldn't download the latest version of zotero into my Acer laptop (window 10), any advice?
    5) most importantly, i added my university link as resolver but when i was trying to open it, it couldn't find the link or proxy
    Start new threads for these (and any other issues) and provide more details on exactly what's happening. See Steps to Reproduce.