Institutional Storage

Our institution is considering the institutional storage account, but we had a question - what happens to the users’ access to their stored content after they leave our institution?
Thanks!
  • Remember that Zotero storage is only for files stored on the Zotero servers, so users will always keep access to their locally stored content (i.e. all content).

So expiring institutional storage works exactly like expiring individual paid storage: Zotero will notify the user that they have exceeded their storage capacity; assuming they don't pay for individual storage, files will no longer sync to the Zotero server (but they are still able to add new files locally). After a grace period of ~1month, Zotero will remove stored files in excess of the available storage (i.e. 300MB without paying) from the server. Again, those will not be deleted on any of the synced devices.
  • And it's worth noting that institutional storage gets applied to users' individual accounts. It is activated by having the institutional email address as one of (possibly multiple) email addresses on the account, but is otherwise not tied to the institution and stays with the individual.

So whether the user leaves the institution, or the institution stops subscribing, the Zotero account can continue to be used with the normal storage limitations until the user deletes it.
  • Can I ask another question about institutional storage? Is there any setup involved on our end of things? My IT folks here are asking about authentication, etc. But from what I understand, it just automatically applies to anyone with an email address from our institutional domain, correct?
  • That's correct. There is no extra integration step with the institution.
  • We've got it set up now! (my wishes have been granted!) Quick question, though. In order to access the institutional storage, does your institutional email address need to be set as the primary email address in the account settings?
  • No, it just needs to be added to your account and verified (by clicking a link in an email).