switched to word 2016 from 2011 and need plug-in

I just upgraded from word 2011 to word 2016. How do i get the Zotero plug-in to show up in word 2016?
  • Reinstall the plugin from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Great, thanks. It looks like the plug-in for 2016 is its own ribbon menu rather than a floating toolbar. Interesting. Thank you for your help!
  • Yeah, that is a change in what is possible in Word 2016.
  • Thanks for the help @dstillman & @bwiernik... My macbook (OS 10.10) is all good to go with Word 2016 & the Zotero plug-in!

I've gone to my office to set up word 2016 on my iMac (OS 10.11) and reinstalled the plug-in form the Cite menu of Zotero, but the tool menu is not showing up. I feel like I'm missing the crucial "idiot button" but I can't seem to figure out what that is...
  • Yes, I meant ribbon tab. Thanks.

I'll be back on the iMac soon and will check that out and get back... Thanks again.
  • Ok, I'm at my iMac (OS 10.11) and I followed those steps above. Still no, Zotero in Word. Is there a way to manually do this?
  • Great, thank you. I followed those directions. The zotero.dotm file is copied now in the startup/word folder and zotero is checked in the global templates and add-ins. The Zotero ribbon shows up. But when I try to create a citation, Zotero gives me this error: "Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again."
  • Could you submit a Report ID from Zotero?
  • Zotero Word for Mac Integration (3.5.14.r10158, extension)
    You seem to have installed the Word plugin version for Zotero for Firefox, which has been discontinued a while ago. You need to go into Zotero Tools -> Add-ins and remove the Word for Mac plugin, then restart Zotero.

Also, any reason why you are running the Beta version of Zotero? You don't need to, unless you want to provide help in testing new Zotero features or have been suggested to do so for a problem fix that you've reported here on the forums.
  • I have no explanation for the firefox thing. I don't use Firefox.
    So uninstall the add-in, restart Zotero, and then reinstall it?

I don't recall why I'm on the beta version, only that there was a reason when I first installed Zotero a couple years ago.
  • I did as you said, the re-enabled, and now citations are working. Thank you so much!