From OVID Medline to Zotero

Hello, I am trying to import records from OVID Medline to Zotero. I am using a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.2, Safari 12.0.2, and Zotero 5.0.60.
My issue is that I don't want Medline descriptors added as tags to my Zotero library. However: (a) even if I do not select 'kw' as a field when exporting to a RIS file, keywords are still included; and, (b) even if the Zotero option 'Automatically tag items with keywords and subject headings' is not selected, those keywords are still saved.
I have two questions. 1) As a whole, am I using the right procedure to move records from OVID Medline to Zotero? 2) Is there a way to avoid this particular problem?
I searched the forums for a response but I could not find one. I apologize if I have missed something!
Thank you in advance!
  • I think you should be able to use the "Save to Zotero" button in Ovid Medline (but don't have access, so can't test). That should work somewhat better and then respect the tag setting in the preferences. That setting only affects import via the connector, not importing RIS and similar files.

If you have to or want to go through a RIS files, I think the only option would be a search&replace that removes the keywords in that file before importing.
  • Thank you Adam. I tried exactly what you are suggesting but the 'save to Zotero' button does not seem to be working. It shows only 'webpage with snapshot'.
    I did use the search&replace but I was hoping to find a more elegant way of solving the problem.
    A.
  • I'm afraid search & replace (or a script that does s&r for you) is the only option then.
  • I don’t have access to this database, but some OVID databases let you select to omit keywords from exported RIS files. You could check that.