IEEE style needs updating

IEEE published a new version of their "IEEE reference guide" at the end of 2018 (available here http://ieeeauthorcenter.ieee.org/wp-content/uploads/IEEE-Reference-Guide.pdf)

there are some changes there (and unfortunately some inconsistencies, especially with displaying publishing dates and the URL).

I just wanted to check if someone is working on updating the IEEE style for Zotero?
Thanks!
  • What are the exact changes needed? That way we can get that done quicker.
  • oh lawd, that style is a bit of a mess. But I'll start with the major changes. I will get back to you in a little bit with the examples. Thank you!

• @ragnabk
    Is this still outstanding?
    We had pushed a little update in December 2019 regarding the addition of DOI into references.
  • I think this one is worth a close look to match guide to citations, given how commonly used it is. Happy to help with that.
  • Hi! Yes this is still outstanding. I can see that I was going to send you some examples and I never did that. My fault!

I think the main change is how IEEE presents websites and how it's so much different from other items that include a URL, f.ex. online reports. For most other items when they include a URL they put at the end: Accessed: Date. [Online]. Available: ...

Report:
    J. K. Author, “Title of report,” Abbrev. Name of Co., City of Co., Abbrev. State, Country, Rep. xxx, year.

Report online:
    J. K. Author, “Title of report,” Company, City, State, Country, Rep. no., (optional: vol./issue), Date. Accessed: Date. [Online]. Available: site/path/file

But for websites they do it completely different. Notice how they also put a period after the authors names but for reports (and everything else) they always put a comma.

Websites:
    First Name Initial(s) Last Name. “Page Title.” Website Title. Web Address (retrieved Date Accessed).

Example:
    J. Smith. “Obama inaugurated as President.” CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/01/21/obama_inaugurated/index.html (accessed Feb. 1, 2009).

It's also worth looking at how they do Conference paper online, Lectures and Courses in the new IEEE because of they way they present the year in brackets (year) directly after the author (like APA does it).

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into IEEE. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know!
  • edited March 23, 2020
    Hi,

thanks for checking the above.

1. Websites: adapted how the access data is provided. I did NOT change that comma/dot issue after the authors. I think that is a mistake and does not make sense.

2. Conference stuff: this is quite a bit all over the place. Hard to figure out a common thread there.

Can you, @ragnabk, and @speare give this a test ride?
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/8552ff5450b6145c73de91b35340a90138c6c17c/ieee.csl

(so far only made the changes to IEEE, but will then port them to ieee-with-url.csl once they make sense)

• edited March 23, 2020
    Hi @damnation,
    So far it looks great. Except for how full dates are presented. Sometimes it's the correct way: Feb. 20, 2020. But sometimes it's 20-Feb-2020 which is incorrect.

1. Websites: This happens with item type websites where the accessed date is correct but the Date is incorrect.

2. Conference: For conferences the accessed date is presented incorrectly.
  • @ragnabk

1. Issued-date for websites: fixed
    2. conference papers: should be fixed now. (their guidelines are really messy on this)

New version: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/2fef4bf6d6e30602f04ed5dd632f125c1304065d/ieee.csl
  • @damnation

1. The date looks great when the full date is provided now. But it's a bit weird when there is just the year or just the year and month.
    - with month and year: Apr.-, 2011.
    - with just the year: , , 2001.

2. For conference paper the accessed date is still wrong.
    How it is: Accessed: 06-Apr-2013. [Online]. Available:
    Should be: Accessed: Apr. 6, 2013. [Online....

I agree that their guidelines are all over the place! Drives me insane! Wish they'd asked me to comment on it before publishing ;-)
  • edited March 27, 2020
    1. website issued date:
    that's fixed now (and I learned something valuable here).

2. conference paper, accessed date: fixed

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/447fe9279906b579c0c1bc7b1677ee08ae0c9374/ieee.csl
  • yes @damnation! This is beautiful. Everything looks great now. Thank you so much for this!
  • Glad to hear!
    I'll now also prepare the IEEE-with-url.csl style with the same fixes. Would be greatful if you could check that for me, too. :)
  • Of course I will, no problem! And then once you are done with that, I'll have to take the code and figure out what things I'll need to change to make it work in Icelandic. Because changing the language setting does it all wrong.