Title caser errors out

@dstillman Report ID is 1510776339.
Debug id is D1999891034
As I try to export this article zotero gives error 'An error occurred generating your bibliography. '
For reproducing issue:
I dont know which steps will helps to reproducing the issue. But you can suggest me if there is a way.
  • What exactly are you trying to do?
  • I just tried to export a bibliography to the clipboard. More discussion can be found at https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1617
  • edited January 2, 2019
    Which citation style? And the debug and report IDs are with the Better BibTeX add-on disabled?
  • edited January 2, 2019
    We tried with Chicago but just because I knew that style would invoke the Citeproc title caser. We did at least one with all extensions disabled, and then he gets

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: str.trim is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 15375}]
    CSL.Output.Formatters</title/config.capitaliseWords@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:15375:21
    _textcaseEngine@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:15263:46
    title@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:15407:16
    CSL.Output.Queue.prototype.append@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:3820:26
    CSL.Transform/getOutputFunction/<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:12786:17
    CSL.tokenExec@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:2032:21
    CSL.expandMacro/func@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:2083:28
    CSL.tokenExec@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:2032:21
    CSL.getCite@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:5812:16
    CSL.getBibliographyEntries@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:6126:38
    CSL.Engine.prototype.makeBibliography@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js:5941:11
    makeFormattedBibliography@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite.js:137:13
    Zotero.Cite.makeFormattedBibliographyOrCitationList@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/cite.js:79:23
    Zotero_File_Interface</this.copyItemsToClipboard@chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js:653:17
    _doBibliographyOptions@chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js:725:5
    bibliographyFromItems@chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js:620:3
    oncommand@chrome://zotero/content/standalone/standalone.xul:1:1

(4)(+0000000): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (4)(+0000026): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (4)(+0000014): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (4)(+0000016): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (3)(+0000020): MIME type application/pdf cannot be handled internally
    (4)(+0000006): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (4)(+0000050): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE parentItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY contentType='application/pdf' DESC, value=? DESC, dateAdded ASC [259, 3, 'http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/33/015/33015262.pdf']
    (3)(+0007594): {better-bibtex +null} cache hit: {"itemID":259,"legacy":false,"skipChildItems":true}
    (3)(+0000002): {better-bibtex +2} JournalAbbrev.get: getting from serialised
    (3)(+0000000): {better-bibtex +0} JournalAbbrev.get: trying publicationTitle
    (3)(+0000002): {better-bibtex +2} JournalAbbrev.get: trying reporter
    (3)(+0000000): {better-bibtex +0} JournalAbbrev.get: trying code
    (3)(+0000196): Alert:

An error occurred generating your bibliography. Please try again.
    but that str.trim is not a function is because the last element after the string split is a float instead of an empty string.

edit: this was with all extensions removed (right @parthpatel ?)
  • edited January 2, 2019
    No, this shows BBT as still installed and enabled.

@parthpatel: In addition to a Debug ID with BBT uninstalled, we need Steps to Reproduce, as explained on that page — you need to tell us exactly what we would do to get this to happen, including downloading or creating the exact item that you're seeing it on. (You can also export the affected item to Zotero RDF, upload it somewhere, and provide a link here, and you should test that it still happens for you after reimporting that item.)
  • edited January 2, 2019
    Ah - we did do one without at some point, but it's best to have a clear log. BBT doesn't meddle with citeproc, but a clear isolated case is best.

@parthpatel from what I can tell it doesn't matter which reference you pick as long as the language field is empty (or set to English, but let's keep it simple).

Steps to reproduce were:

1. right-click the reference

2. select Create Bibliography from Item from the popup menu

3. select Citation Style `Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note)

4. set Language to English (US)

5. set Output Mode to Bibliography

6. set Output Method to Copy to Clipboard

7. click OK

• Ok, I am using LUBUNTU 18.04. I downloaded the tar file provided on zotero, extracted and executed sh file.
    What sh file?
    platform => Linux i686
    I'd guess that this is something that only occurs on a 32-bit system.
  • I've installed Lubuntu 18.04 32 bit in virtualbox and imported the first sample from https://www.verbosus.com/bibtex-style-examples.html using

1. copy "@article{article,.....}" to the clipboard
    2. select "Import from clipboard" in Zotero
    and then I can create a Chicago bibliography using the steps above without problems. @parthpatel can you verify that this still gives you the error?
  • edited January 2, 2019
    Also tried just extracting the bz2 download and running that on Lubuntu 32 bit, no problems creating a Chicago bibliography.

But indeed: what .sh file? There's no .sh file in the Zotero tarball.
  • @emilianoheyns sorry, it was only zotero file which i executed. I have created chicago bibliography using that '@article{article,.....}'. It does not give any errors.
  • edited January 3, 2019
    OK, so then, as I say above, we need steps to actually reproduce the problem.
  • @dstillman I have retried with all addons off.
    The debug id is D82336233
    Report id is 522636894.
    I am sharing the reference with rdf file which is causing errors.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h10-i7s6GfWMiDKwmvr2_S1sEC3LHUex?usp=sharing
  • I have it reproducible with this reference. Import this file into a clean Zotero on 32 bit Lubuntu 18.04, 7-step bibliography from above gets me the error. Works without problem on 64 bit Zotero on Ubuntu 18.04
  • So @fbennett would probably need to debug this in that environment, but I'd be surprised if that happened anytime soon — he hasn't been around for a while, and I doubt fixing something on 32-bit Linux is going to be a high priority. It's also possible that this will be fixed in the upcoming Zotero upgrade to a Firefox 60 base, which should be in beta soon, but no guarantee. I would recommend running Zotero on a 64-bit OS if possible.
  • edited January 3, 2019
    I don't know if there's much for Frank to debug -- string.split should always return an array of strings, and it returns an array of strings and floats instead here; that looks like a bug in the javascript environment, not the javascript code.

Have to agree though -- I can't think of a good reason to run 32 bit these days unless you're on a *really* old system.
  • True @emilianoeheyns..!! My office has really old systems. (mine is with Pentium 4 HT). I hope they give us new systems.
  • Damn. That makes your system about 12 years old. A Raspberry Pi could actually be an upgrade. Just sayin...

You can try running grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep ' lm ' in a shell. If that gets you lines starting with flags, you have a 64-bit capable P4. Performance should be the same (or in some specific instances, better) with x64.
  • edited January 8, 2019
    Yes...I am literally begging my guide to upgrade PC. Since, Its Govt. Lab its really difficult to procure computers (due to security).

I ran grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep ' lm '
    ```
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts cpuid pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr pti
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts cpuid pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr pti
    ```

I think its 64 bit capable P4. But installing OS is cumbursome in this PC. Its not even detecting bootable pendrive.

• If you have a working floppy or CD drive: https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

If not, it *is* possible to resize your harddisk, install a minimal 64 bit Ubuntu, boot to that and reclaim the space previously used for the 32 bit install, but it's a bit of a hassle (https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/powerpc/apds04.html, https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/434485/installing-linux-from-existing-installation)

I find it mildly amusing to think that it's hard to procure new hardware for security reasons yet you would be allowed to install a new (potentially unsafe) OS on an existing system, but I work in academia so I'm no stranger to bizarre red tape:

me: "network outlet doesn't work anymore?"
    IT: "oh, you need to get new systems registered before they can be plugged in, and only 10 systems can be registered per outlet"
    me: "We work with RasPis and Arduinos, I have 20 'systems' sitting on my own desk right now. This is a tech research lab"
    IT: "yeah sorry, policy"
    me: "can I get the mac address of this totally not an el-cheapo second hand router from ebay registered?"
    IT: "sure, no problem, done"
  • :D
    Yeah..!!
    Everywhere IT is same..!! :D
    Thanks I will try out..