Automatic Numbering of Items

Hello,

I am currently looking for a way to include automatic and editable numbering to items in my Zotero database.

The background is as follows:

For the purpose of drafting legal submissions, I would like to manage both legal exhibits (sentences and scholarly writing) as well as factual exhibits (such as emails, contractual documents or written witness testimonies) in my Zotero database.

While the management of legal exhibits is quite similar to managing items in academic writing, managing factual exhibit is somewhat different. Usually, factual exhibits have to be marked as such and numbered (Such as Claimant Exhibit No. 1, Claimant Exhibit No. 2, …). This might possible using the “Short Title” Function and adding the numbering by hand.

Yet, it is highly common that in the end of the drafting process, one will include further exhibits and thus change the order assigned beforehand (e.g. including an Exhibit between Claimant Exhibit No. 73 and 74). If the numbering is done by hand, a later amendment of the draft requires to update all exhibits, causing a lot of work, especially when submitting a lot of exhibits.

Does anybody have an idea how to handle this, i.e., how to automatically number items in a way that allows for

- citing the exhibit with reference to the number, and
- In a way, that allows for a later modification of the sequence including automatic updating?

Many thanks in advance,
J
  • I would recommend you use the Library Catalog and Call Number fields for this, then modify your CSL style file to use source and call-number fields where needed.

If you are doing legal citations, you might want to consider switching to Juris-M, a version of Zotero with much expanded legal citation support https://juris-m.github.io
  • Many thanks for your feedback and your reference to Juris-M, it does look interesting for my purposes.

As for the class numbering, is there a possibility to generate the numbers automatically? I've looked into it and so far I only managed to include the numbers by hand.
  • I don’t think there is a way to generate multiple different lists of numbers automatically, no, sorry.
  • Ok, thanks for your help!