Zotero tab in MSWord disappears every time I shut down an MSWord file

I have been using Zotero for years. Recently, I noticed that the Zotero tab is no longer available in my MSWord ribbon of tabs (top of the screen). I read and tried the troubleshooting instructions to enable the add-in via the Zotero app. When I checked it was enabled already. So I disabled it, restarted the app, re-enabled it, and restarted both the Zotero app and my MSWord file (didnt work) and then my computer. The Zotero tab appeared after that. However, once I closed the MSWord file, the Zotero tab is again missing the next time I open MSWord. I have to repeat the whole process again. I have been doing this for a number of times. Today however, it worked once but has since not worked. So even though I have disabled-enabled the MSWord extension via the Zotero app and restarted the Zotero app multiple times, the Zotero tab still does not appear on my MSWord ribbon.

I am using MSWord Office 365. Windows 10. Thank you.
  • Thanks adomasven. I followed the instructions on that page. There is no Zotero.dotm in the “Word Add-ins” of the Developer tab. I went into the Zotero app to disable, restart, enable, restart again. And restarted MSWord too. The Zotero tab appeared in the MS word file which was open (and restarted) when I was going through all these steps, but not in another MSWord window that I subsequentlly opened.

I did all the above steps again, shut down both MS Word files, and restarted both files - this time, the Zotero tab did not appear in any of hte MS Word file.

I have downloaded and reinstalled Zotero a number of times. The same issue remains. What gives? Thank you.
  • Make sure a security software on your computer isn't removing the Zotero.dotm file from Word startup folder. Reinstalling Zotero or disabling and enabling the Word plugin should not have any effect, or the effect is coincidental with something else you're doing. Going into Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processor and reinstalling the plugin and restarting Word would help, but if the Zotero tab keeps disappearing and you do not see Zotero.dotm listed in Word Add-ins it points to something on your computer removing the Zotero.dotm file from its intended location in the Word startup folder.
  • Thanks Adomasven. I halted my security software for an hour and after that I worked for about 5 days (since our last conversation) and now suddenly the Zotero plugin appeared in one of my MS Word window (for one file) but not for another. Today I had to restart the computer after having to repair MS Office (after my Excel kept slowing down to not being able to be opened), and Zotero has disappeared from the Word ribbon again. I've tried all the disabling/unabling and reinstalling Zotero. All to no avail.

How do I make sure the security software isn't removing the Zotero.dotm file? Thank you.
  • Security software logs would have information on this if they were indeed the culprit. Could you confirm that you only have one version of Word installed in this computer? What you are describing in general is very weird. If security software were removing the Zotero tab, it wouldn't be randomly re-appearing and disappearing.
  • I am having the same issue. I have been using zotero for word for years and suddenly each time i restart word (2016), the ribbon/tab for zotero is gone. I can manually re-add it by going to tools -> templates and add ins and it will work but I have to do this with each new word document. Even if I do not close word and open a new document, the new document will not have the zotero ribbon/tab.