Can't start Zotero

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero no longer working with Word on Mac.
  • Hi,
    no solution, but similar problem: I just installed Zotero for the first time, version 5.0.58, Mac. When I try to open Zotero, a long error message pops up and all I can do is quit the program.
  • Can you either copy the error or take a screenshot of it, upload it to Dropbox or similar, and provide a link here?
  • Here's the error message (Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1; Zotero 5.0.58):

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js :: Zotero.IPC</this.init :: line 36" data: no]
    Zotero.IPC</this.init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ipc.js:36:5
    this.init<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:360:4
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:345:4
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14
  • Are you running any non-standard security software on this computer?

Did you move your Zotero data directory to a nonstandard location (e.g., a network share), or did this just happen the first you opened Zotero?

(Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.)
  • Hey!
    This happened the first time (every time) I opened Zotero after installing it in the usual Programs-Directory.
    I have just installed the previous version (4.0.29.15). This version actually asked me where to install the Zotero data directory (the 5.0.58 didn't). Zotero is now working! So there seems to be a problem with the version 5.0.58...

(no worries, sometimes takes me some time to reply as well)
  • You don't want to use 4.0 at this point, and if you're getting that message with 5.0, that would be a problem on your computer that you'll need to resolve — NS_ERROR_FAILURE indicates a generic error outside of Zotero that we can't do anything about. You should uninstall 4.0 completely, delete your Zotero profile directory and your Zotero data directory completely (assuming you don't have any data in it yet), and then reinstall Zotero 5 and try again.
  • Ok, will do! I'll keep ya posted!