Manually refreshing footnotes - modified footnotes

I have a problem if I manually refresh my footnotes.

For example, if I work on a text and I change the order of footnotes 1 and 2 which respectively refer to sources A and B (without making any manual changes to the content of the footnotes!) I get the following message:

"You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?

Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "No" will erase your changes.

Original: Source B
Modified: Source A"

If I press "no" it seems to keep the old footnote, but I am not always sure so I always copy the error message and verify manually whether the footnotes are still correct. Is there a way to solve this problem? I can only think of refreshing my footnotes each time I want to copy/past a text and change the order of certain footnotes.

Many thanks in advance.
  • If sounds like you are manually editing footnotes, or not completely. Is that the case? Had you previously cited Source B and replaced it with Source A? How did you do that exactly?
  • In the example above, I did not manually edit footnotes. What I do regularly is switch sentences to which footnotes are attached. For example, I switch sentence X (to which footnote 1 is attached) with sentence Y (to which footnote 2 is attached). If I do that and I refresh, it says that I have manually edited footnotes 1 and 2 and it messes up the sources that are includes in these footnotes.
  • Does that happen regularly, especially in a new document? What you are describing obviously shouldn't happen. Can you reproduce it consistently? If so, what are the steps you need to follow to do that?
  • that should really not be the case. Which word processor are you using exactly? Can you replicate this in a fresh document? Are you using a specific document template?