Keeping links to files on export

Hello,

I'm working with a rather large main library (over 5Gb) that I would like to share with other people. We're all working on the same server. I wanted to export my library with the links to the files on the server, instead of having to create a local copy of the files on everyone's computer.
It's a rather large library, and we're working on a lot of devices all synced to the same server, so a link to the file would be the best.

Is there any way to do that? My guess is that the only solution is to sync all our files on zotero ?

Thank you.
  • If the files are already stored as linked files on the server (you can use Zotfile to move them f not), then Zotero RDF is a good format for exporting with item data, attachment links, and tag and collection information. Note that the items in each person’s library will be treated as separate items, for example, in a shared Word document.
  • Thank you for your answer,
    Unfortunately, if someone else import the RDF this will create a local copy of each file on their local machine, and I wanted to avoid everyone having to download >5Gb of pdf on their local drive.

I did a little more research, ideally what I would need is the ability to attach link to files in a group (since we're all working on the same server, all locations are the same). But seeing the last posts on the forums I assume this functionality has not been implemented yet?

The only way around that I found is to have people login on my session, then it syncs the link to files. Not sure how easy it would be to have about 25 people working on only one account ? Can I expect a lot of syncing issues? (I realize this is a bit off topic, I might create a new discussion)
  • But seeing the last posts on the forums I assume this functionality has not been implemented yet?
    That's correct.
    Not sure how easy it would be to have about 25 people working on only one account ? Can I expect a lot of syncing issues?
    There's no real difference in terms of how syncing works. Mostly it just means that people can't have personal libraries and everyone's computer needs to be set up using the same credentials.