Local network sync

Hello !

I've already search for that in this forum, but I'm not exactly sure if in my cas it's possible or not.

We are three in a local network.
We want to use Zotero to create a shared library with references and PDF.

We have a shared drive on our network.

How can we setup Zotero to use it simultaneously without any corruption ?

We want that when one person add a PDF with its information detail, the other two persons see the new reference with PDF.

We can't save our references online for security issues.

Thank you in advance !
Deckw.
  • Short answer: no, sorry.

Longer answer: The Zotero dataserver is open source and some people do manage to run it locally, but doing so requires significant technical work and ongoing maintenance, and we don't currently provide any instructions or support for that. We hope to provide better support for local installations in the future.
  • Ok.

Instead, is it possible to share references in a group, but keeping the pdfs on our network?

I've created a group, and add some references under severals sub-folder.
    I've setup Zotfile to have these sub-folder on our network.

But when I add references, pdf are not place into the right folder on our network, they are still on my local computer folder (inside "Zotero\storage\ folder, with one randome folder name for each references)

I've setup "Custom location" on Zotfile, and check "Use subfolder defined by" with "\%w\%y" (\ for windows directory).

And in zotero preferences, I've set the same location for "Linked Attachment Base Directory".

What do I have to do to make it work?

Thanks !
  • I'm afraid you can't currently use linked files in groups, only in your personal library, so ZotFile won't help there. (In order to support this, there'd need to be group-specific base-directory settings, which don't exist now. It'd also be inherently more error-prone because everyone in the group would need to configure everything the same or else files would break or be stored in the wrong place.)

If the files are available from a local webserver via HTTP, you could add linked-URL attachments manually, though that would be fairly tedious.

Another option is to all use My Library in a single Zotero account, though you won't get the benefit of separate personal libraries.