New at Using Zotero; Help!

Zotero seems wonderful. My experience is that tech-savvy persons tell a lot about what can be accomplished, but tell little about How. I need a step by step "how" [with patience and no sneers or snickers, please ;-)]

I have two different email accounts: a gmail and a school-based account. I downloaded Zotero via the gmail account. I want to access information from my school library that uses my school acc't. Will I have sign-in issues because of the different accounts? basically, "how to do this" is my question.
Thanks
  • I downloaded Zotero via the gmail account
    You don't download Zotero with an email address — you don't need a Zotero account to download the software or even to use it.

If you mean that you create a Zotero account with your Gmail account, that wouldn't have any effect on your ability to save information from your school library — those are entirely unrelated.

If 1) you use Zotero syncing, 2) you want to sync more files than the free quota (data syncing is free and unlimited), and 3) your school offers Zotero file storage to its community, you can add your school email address to your Zotero account and the extra storage will show up in your storage settings.
  • It depends on what you're trying to do...

You can either have a (1) PC version or (2) a Zotero web account and a PC version.

You don't need to be logged into the Zotero web account to "pull" data from the web. You only need the host account to sync with. That way you can leave your PC at home and access your Zotero web account from anywhere.

There is one other considerable factor. Let's say you have a pdf file that you want to link to a journal article. On your PC, you can either "Attach a stored copy of file..." or "Attach a link to file...".

> Attaching a stored copy will put the pdf file in the internal PC Zotero database. Thus when syncing with the web version the pdf file will be available on the web version too.

> If you attach a link to the file then the pdf file will only reside on your PC. It will not sync with the host. The journal reference will, just not the PDF file. ** This way uses no host storage at all. **

One other big gotcha to plan for. On the PC you can use Saved Searches to manipulate the item database that you have. However searches don't work on the web version. You have to use tags. So if you want to find a set of articles that are listed in two different collections on the PC you can use a Saved Search. But to be able to use that information on the host you have to tag the combined list items on the PC with a tag named say "math and chemistry". The "math and chemistry" tag will then be synced with the host.