Zotero log in error

Hi,

I've encountered an error when trying to log into my account on Zotero which is

'JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data'

I've logged onto my account on another computer fine, and have tried reinstalling and still receive the same error message.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks.
  • Unfortunately I can't get a Report ID, Zotero version is 5.0.55, operating system is Windows Vista.

1. Launch Zotero
    2. Edit -> Preferences
    3. Sync -> Data Syncing
    4. Enter username and password
    5. Click 'set up syncing'
    6 Error 'JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data' appears
  • edited August 22, 2018
    Why can’t you get a Report ID? Regardless, you should at least be able to paste the output from the error report window.

But particularly if you’re unable to submit an error report, I’d guess that your connection is being intercepted:

SSL Certificate Error
  • I am using Zotero on a networked device at my organisation. This causes the following message when i try and report errors: 'Invalid response from repository'

I have copy and pasted the error report below. I will look into the certificate error and see if this helps. Thanks for your help.

PAC file installed from http://webdefence.global.blackspider.com:8082/proxy.pac?p=33fbf9d6

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP HEAD https://zoteroproxycheck.s3.amazonaws.com/test failed with status code 403

Functionality that depends on an internet connection may not work."]

[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to proxy -- proxied requests may not work"]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact wss://stream.zotero.org/."]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP POST https://repo.zotero.org/repo/updated?last=1530554400&version=5.0.55&m=3 failed with status code 403"]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact wss://stream.zotero.org/."]

[JavaScript Error: "JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncAPIClient.js" line: 779}]

version => 5.0.55, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.55, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.55, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.8.SA.5.0.55, extension)
  • Hi, was this ever resolved as we have a user trialing the software with exactly the same issue and the same error report? I also get the same problem when trying to generate a report ID.

Cheers.
  • Was this ever resolved? I used Zotero from work, no problem, for a while, but now I get this JSON.parse error. I have reinstalled and it is still there.
  • @labontea: We'd need a Debug ID for a sync attempt the produces the error. If you can't submit that, see Connection Error and/or SSL Certificate Error.
  • thanks @dstillman. I finally have been able to get back to this and will send the txt debug file to help at zotero. I get an error when I try to get the debug ID for hte sync attempt.
  • edited February 28, 2020
    @labontea: No, see above — the fact that you can't submit the debug report just means you need to consult the pages I link to above to fix the internet connection generally within Zotero. This isn't something for us to fix. Your system is set up to use a proxy server, and you'll need to try the things described there (perhaps with help from your IT department) to get Zotero's network connection working for you.