Changing email and user name

Greetings. I recently found out that I receive more storage in my zotero account if I am affiliated with an academic institution. So how do I go about changing my primary account email to my university email address? Currently my account is under my gmail address. Also, will simply changing the email address automatically increase my storage?
Thanks in advance, zotero folks!
  • You can't change your username, but you can add a new e-mail address (i.e. your university one) here
    https://www.zotero.org/settings/account
    and I think you have to then make it your primary e-mail address (which you can do in the same place) and should get the extra storage. let us know if that doesn't work.
  • (You don't have to make it your primary address, actually.)
  • Thanks for the response!
    I had tried adding my university email address to the account earlier. But I hadn't refreshed the window to get the option to make the university address my primary. After trying again--and refreshing this time--I got the option to make the new address my primary. But my storage amount hasn't changed to reflect the address change. I've logged out of the account and back in. But still no change. Does the server need some ime to process the change?
  • Note that this is only if your institution has a Zotero subscription. It is not just that all .edu addresses receive more storage.
  • I see. Thanks for clarifying.
  • @adamsmith, you said, "You can't change your username". For privacy reasons, I really, really, really want to change my username. Is there no way to contact Zotero official admins to request a username change? I don't understand why this wouldn't be possible; almost every other online service I use permits changes in usernames (though it isn't always easy).

If necessary, I'm willing to delete my account (including my Zotero Storage contract) and then create a new one, but I would really prefer not having to go through that hassle. If I have to do that, would there be a conflict when I use the same e-mail address as a deleted account when I create a new account?
  • fcheslack would be the relevant developer. I have no insight in this beyond the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, it's never been done.
  • Could you please tell me how I could contact fcheslack to make the request (https://forums.zotero.org/account/10150/)? I don't see any direct messaging feature on these forums.
  • he reads along here.
  • Yeah, I've been reading along, but I haven't thought through the implications of a manual name change yet. Off the top of my head I don't think it would break anything other than links to your profile, but since we don't do it I'd have to look into it some more to be sure.

If you want to delete your account, note that forum posts with the username will stick around. Profile and other data will be removed, and your email address will be able to be re-used for a different account.
    We can also transfer the storage subscription to another account.
  • Hi fcheslack,

I have a similar situation as "um m1jung". I would like to change my username.
  • Hi,
    I guess the exiting data has been removed from zotero while changing username and e mail address now. Is there a way to call them back? help please
  • Not sure what you're asking, but it's now possible to change your username from your account settings https://www.zotero.org/settings/account
  • Thanks for the update! I've changed my username now.
  • hi Fcheslack,
    I wanted to sync Zotero with my e mail account. I had already opened Zotero with my older account in the past so I decided to change my username and password on Zotero since my previous account has been deleted. But after I changed it on Zotero, I realized that my data and former entries have all been deleted from my computer. What should I do?