Zotero and Dragon Dictation on Mac using MSWord

I'm using Zotero 4 and Dragon Dictation to write some papers in Word. But when I insert citations, the DD software is interacting with the Zotero field or code...it won't allow me to continue dictation in the document. Any help on this?
  • Do you mean the dictation won't work in the Insert Citation window or in the the Word document? I'm having a hard time following what's happening.
  • If I insert a citation anywhere in the document, and then try to use dictation anywhere else in the document, the DD software jumps to the citation field/code and will not do any dictation. I think it has something to do with the field/code that Zotero inserts into the Word doc.
  • Did you try it with any different field (not created by the Zotero)?
  • Did you find a solution to this? I have the same problem. Dragon works perfectly without citations, the moment you place a citation in word, it does not dictate your spoken word and instead, highlights the first citation in the document and nothing else.

Every time you try to dictate, the same thing happens.

However, if you move your cursor to above any citations, you can dictate normally. A work around is to add the citations later but this seems quite laborious and it shouldn't be necessary- any solutions!?
  • LiborA's question is really key -- if other Word fields cause the same problem, this is something Dragon will need to address and there's nothing Zotero will be able to do about it -- it has to rely on Word fields and they're a standard feature of Word.

If something particular about _Zotero_ fields causes this, it may be possible to address.
  • I am having the same problem as you guys too. Once I insert a citation, the next dictation jumps to the citation box. Than any other spoken words jump to the top line above the citation. No matter what you do after that, same thing.
  • Though I would check on any updates for this issue. I can dictate from my Macbook Pro very well in MS Word for Mac until I add/insert a citation "in text". After this, the dictation creates odd combining and capitalization of words which creates a nightmare. Anyone have any ideas as to how to address this? Do other citation programs work better? Changing from Zotero would be a pain as I am used to using it as a tool.
  • As Adam mentioned, the first step to debugging this is to test to see if it's only Zotero fields and not other Word fields that cause this issue.

As far as I can see no-one has yet confirmed that the problem is indeed confined to Zotero created fields.