Add tag shortcut

In other words, how can I add a keyboard shortcut for tagging items. Could anybody help?
  • You can assign colored tags with the number keys on the keyboard:

https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#colored_tags

For other tags, there's no shortcut, so the best you could do currently is use the keyboard to navigate to the Tags pane — e.g., Tab, right-arrow, right-arrow, Tab, spacebar (on the Add button), add tags. The tags pane does stay open between items, though, so if you were adding tags to multiple items it would just be Tab, Tab, spacebar, add tags, and then when you're done use the arrow keys to move to another item.

You could also use some macro program that performed the above steps (e.g., Keyboard Maestro on macOS).

In terms of improving this, I could see there being a keyboard shortcut — maybe Shift-T — that would automatically select the Tags pane and activate a new row. It could alternatively show some sort of floating panel with the tags box that went away when done, which would be a bit more complicated to implement but would have the advantage of not changing the selection in the right-hand pane.
  • For the time being, with the Zutilo plugin, you can set a keyboard shortcut to focus the tag panel (I set mine using Ctrl-T).
  • Thanks to both. I know about the coloured tags. As for improvements, a shortcut moving the cursor to the Tags pane would already make things easier. The second solution would be just perfect. The thing is that dragging items to the tag selector takes too much time and patience, especially on a laptop.
  • Still, would it not be possible to add the option of an extra column showing tags within the main window? So you could even sort visible items by tags -- and still see all items in the folder.
  • It's a many-to-one relationship with no inherent order and no limit on the number of tags that can be present on an item, so showing it in a column of limited width doesn't really make sense conceptually.
  • @bwiernik Many thanks for naming the Zutilo. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Any idea how to "back up" those super-helpful shortcuts? Does it nest under Zotoro settings? Nor do I have any clue how to "back up" Zotero settings.
  • These preferences and Zotero's preferences are stored in the prefs.js file in your Zotero profile directory: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory
  • @bwiernik Does copy-pasting the contents in the profile_dirctory/somethin_random to the new location (under another random_name.profile) folder suffice? I am re-asking the question in this post: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/74452/how-to-back-up-zotero-settings-and-make-it-available-from-computer-a-to-computer-b?new=1
  • Hello,

I'm also interested in display some informations about tags in the main window. Maybe would it be great to have a column "Number of tags". Do you know if it's possible ?

Thanks you !

Theo