Zotero can insert field in the middle of an endnote field

It seems that when I have the cursor over an EndNote field and insert a Zotero citation, the citation goes in the middle of the EndNote field.

Here is the result
Citation (Eisenhardt and Graebner, 20(Eisenhardt, 1989)07).
Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Building theories from case study research. Academy of management review, 532-550.

What I would expect to get is either
-Zotero replaces the endnote field
-Zotero issues a warning that I am creating a citation inside other field
-Zotero inserts the citation immediately after the endnote field
  • As a workaround, I would suggest shift-selecting the entire area of the Endnote field before inserting the citation.

While I'm not a developer, there may be some reasons they haven't looked at such an issue yet (other than oversight) - for example, how is Zotero to "know" that the word field you have your cursor in is from Endnote and should be entirely overwritten? Some people might be using all kinds of word fields and actually don't want the Zotero citation to entirely overwrite them.

Personally, I'd prefer they leave the current behaviour as it is, because it's consistent with how text editing operates in general - if you want to replace a text field, you select the entire field before inserting the new item, in exactly the same way you select an entire word or object if you want to replace that.
  • This is not a big issue, but just something that I noted and consider unwanted behavior. You could generalize from this to all types of fields: if you can insert a field in the middle of another field, there is a possibility that the fields are corrupted in the document.

My suggestion would be to prevent inserting citations inside fields altogether, not just endnote fields.