Citing two "no date" manuscripts

How would you cite two manuscripts currently in review, with no date attached?

I would like them to be something like (Schoepfer et al., in review A) and (Schoepfer et al., in review B).

Currently they both read as (Schoepfer et al., n.d) and there is no way to distinguish the two.
  • I'm not sure you're able to do what you're after without manually editing the in-text citation to remove the 'n.d'.

What about adding a suffix to each citation so they read (Schoepfer et al., n.d, in review A) and (Schoepfer et al., n.d, in review B)?

You can do this by clicking on the blue balloon in the quick citation dialog and entering the text directly into the suffix box.
  • This actually depends on the citation style. Zotero/CSL can add disambiguation suffixes (i.e. n.d.-a and n.d.-b) to n.d. but only do so for a very small number of citation styles because this is of course quite rare and very few styles actually specify what to do in such situations. APA style does this for example. Which are you using?

But if you want the whole "in review" thing, then definitely use suffix as pseudomorph suggests.