debug zotero

Unable to load data from Pubmed; always says error occurred while saving to zotero
report ID is 936680459
it saves as a webpage
  • edited October 24, 2018
    This may not be a Zotero issue.

Beginning on last Thursday night, PubMed has been undergoing significant maintenance. While searches have been available throughout, there have been a few hours each day when downloading metadata of the search results doesn't occur even outside of Zotero. You can test this easily. Do any PubMed search, select the first ten items, use the file download link, download as xml, then look at the file size. When the problem is happening the the file size will be about 200 BYTES. If the PubMed problem isn't happening the file size will be measured in KB. If the resulting file size is kb then you should be able to use Zotero again.

Even when the problem is occurring it is possible to do a search and download and save the resulting PMIDs to a file. You can later enter these into the Zotero magic wand field when PubMed is working again.

PubMed tech support said the downtime should only be at most 3 hours -- usually much less -- when 1) xml isn't formed for downloading and 2) although the PMIDs can be downloaded, requesting items by PMID (uid) will not retrieve the record(s).
  • But i have been facing this problem since last one month. i always gets a message that error occurred while trying to save pubmed data to zotero ; saved as webpage.
    its getting to difficult to work ; do i need to reinstall zotero
    so kindly help me out how to save the citations to zotero
  • edited October 24, 2018
    appName => Zotero, appVersion => 3.0.14
    You're using a version of Zotero that's over 5 years old.

You'll need to upgrade to the latest version. I'm not sure we even tested upgrading to Zotero 5 from versions that old, so I would recommend making a backup of your Zotero data directory before installing Zotero 5.