When is 'Find Available PDF' available?

Thank you for the latest update that includes Unpaywall search. I have noticed that the right-click menu option Find Available PDF is not available on all items in my Zotero bibliography (for example, a Journal of Hydrology article). May I ask under what conditions Find Available PDF becomes available?

Thank you.
  • When selecting a single item, "Find Available PDF" will only be shown if the item has a URL or DOI (including "DOI:" in the Extra field), because URL-based lookups require one of those two things and Unpaywall requires a DOI. The item also can't already have a PDF attachment.

When selecting multiple items, "Find Available PDFs" is always shown, but ineligible items won't appear in the progress window.

Zotero will soon be able to try to retrieve an identifier for an existing item without one, so once that's available we may tweak this behavior.
  • Ah thank you, and noted. For the few I tried I have now retrieved the DOI using ZoteroBib, and could then use Find Available PDF (although the PDFs were not available, but that is for other reasons).

Of course, it would be nice to be able to use Find Available PDF before first seek the DOI through other means.

Many thanks, again.
  • That's right — the plan is to start using the same process we use in ZoteroBib to identify items without identifiers in Zotero.
  • Brilliant, thank you.
  • At the moment (zotero 5.0.80) this is always greyed-out for me, even for items that have a DOI and URL, and also when selecting multiple entries (contrary to what was said above).
  • Find Available PDF should only be greyed out in a group library to which you have either no edit privileges and/or which has file storage disabled. Otherwise it just doesn't appear as an option at all when it's unavailable.
  • >That's right — the plan is to start using the same process we use in ZoteroBib to identify items without identifiers in Zotero.

Have you started doing that yet? Seems extremely useful (and maybe pretty easy to implement since you already do it with ZoteroBib), but as far as I can tell, I still need the identifiers.