APA bibliography without doi codes

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to modify the APA style so that the bibliography does not include the doi codes. I have previously managed to modify the style so that the references are single spaced, rather than double spaced. But I could not figure out how to modify the style so it would not include doi.

The main reason for doing this is that, doi codes are often not required, and they can take up a considerable amount of words, when the wordcount often is limited. Thus, I would like to be able to switch between APA with and without doi.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks a lot!
  • Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this style. I actually prefer to have the issue number included because the journals vary in their use of continuous page numbering. But I found out how to edit the no-doi style to include the issue number (only requires inserting one line).

Thanks for your help.
  • Note though that DOI names are always required by APA style when they exist, and they are really the single most important part of the reference because they provide a direct link to the source for the reader and enable accurate citation counts, bibliometrics, etc.

If you are concerned about the length of the DOI, check out the Zotero DOI Manager Plugin to convert the DOIs in your library to short DOIs. https://github.com/bwiernik/zotero-shortdoi
  • Sure, but when I have a problem with word count (being too high) I will only give the journal what it specifically asks for. Thanks for the link to the DOI plugin. It may come in handy at some point.

But are short DOI ok in published articles?
  • Yes. They are officially provided by DOI.org and work in exactly the same way as full DOIs. There is only one short DOI for each each full DOI.

Personally, I recommend clever non-necessary hyphenation as a word count reduction method, or using abbreviations that you then remove in page proofs.
  • Interesting. Very clever. :)