Unified style sheet for linguistics: missing space between edition and volume

edited September 21, 2018
For a book with both edition and volume, there is no space added between the two in the 'Unified style sheet for linguistics' style.

Example:
Doe, John. 2018. My Book Title. 2nd ed.Vol. 5. Location: Publisher.

I could add this myself, except that I'm not sure what best practice is to add a space conditionally when two independent items in different hierarchical positions in the layout both must be present.

Edit: updated to add that a book chapter with edition and volume doesn't have the same problem, because the page numbers are inserted between. So that's something else to watch out for regarding changes to spacing.
  • edited September 22, 2018
    It seems that this can be fixed by adding a space within the 'locator's macro. Find:
    <macro name="locators">
    <else-if type="bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <group delimiter=". ">

And simply add prefix=" " to the tag in last line there.

I'm not certain this works perfectly in all cases, but it seems to work from what I've been able to test. I don't have any of the less common types to test with-- like bill, graphic, etc. Just book, actually.

Question: if there is an extra space inserted, will the parser automatically condense that to a single space? If so, I suppose there's little chance of a problem with this, since I think in all cases a space before this would be desirable.
  • You should use groups and delimiters generally, rather than prefixes, to avoid that issue.
  • But while it's better to avoid relying on it as bwiernik says, the answer to the question is that yes, the processor strips double spaces.
  • @bwiernik no argument from me! But this is an existing style that would have to be entirely rewritten to eliminate the hierarchical structure. (Chicago, for example, is similar, but a flat structure in the final layout, which is much easier to deal with in that sense. It looks like that also uses some prefixes though!)

@adamsmith thanks. I'm not sure whether or not any double spaces are introduced anyway, but if they'd be stripped then there's little risk.

So does this seem to be a general solution, or do you have any suggestions? If this is a solution to the problem, then the style should be updated.
  • I have a fix for this.
  • OK, fixed now, should be on the Zotero repo within 30mins.
  • @adamsmith thank you! As far as I can call that corrects the problem without introducing any new ones. I've checked it with a reasonable number of common formats.