Zotero Word plugin incompatibility problem

Hallo,

I get the following message when trying to insert a citation in the word document.

This version of Zotero Word plugin (1.0b3) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (1.5-sync3.2). Please ensure that you are using the latest version of both components.

What should I do? There is no newer plugin version. Can I revert to an older version of Zotero then? How do I do this?

Nat

Nat
  • Thank You! I was looking here:

http://www.zotero.org/documentation/plugins

All I could see is 1.03b. There should be a link to the newer plugin at the plugin page.

Thanks a lot again,

Nat
  • Yes, please! I wasted time with this as well, since I assumed there was no updated plugin and have been spending a lot of time working around it. Not everyone is following the forums! Thanks, Melani
  • Hi
    I got the same problem with the version of Zotero for Word Windows Vista, but I already have upgrado to 1.0b4 so I don't understand why it doesn't works. Can anybody help me?

Thanks
  • Cornelius: 1.0b4 of the Windows plugin is only compatible with the 1.5 Sync Preview, not 1.0.9. If you're using 1.0.9, use 1.0b3 on the Microsoft Word integration page.
  • b4 we try to install zotero 2.0
    what word plugin should we use ?

in what order should we do yje installation ?
  • edited May 25, 2009
    what word plugin should we use?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#plugins_for_zotero_2.0_beta
    in what order should we do yje installation?
    The order doesn't matter.
  • thanks
    I'll give it a try
    (after backuping....)
  • On this page there is no link to a plugin for Zotero 2.0 for Windows versions of Word!!
  • akloster: Rintze's link does include the links you need. And please don't double post.
  • No, actually it doesn't .... at least I haven't found it yet.

I'd like to have one for word on windows that works with Zotero 2.0, and is available as .exe installer or .zip archive.

There are plugins for Word for Windows which are compatible with 1.x and a plugin for mac-word for Zotero 2.0. For Word on Windows and Zotero 2.0 there are plugins mentioned, but not actually for download, as the links only forward to other pages which either link back or don't link the plugin as downloads... I can only find 1.0.x versions for Word on Windows.
  • edited June 4, 2009
    Yes, it does. If you would just read the page, you would find what you need.
  • Ok, well it works now. I had the misconception that the 1.0.b4 version would not work with 2.0. But it does...
  • I am getting the error message that Zotero Word plugin (1.0b4) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (2.0b7). As far as I can tell I have the latest versions of both....?

Using Windows Vista and Microsoft Office Word 2007
  • thangen: There are new plugins for 2.0b7.

(From here on out, the word processor plugins are distributed as Firefox extensions and will automatically update via Firefox (or can be updated automatically via Tools->Add-ons->Find Updates).)
  • 2.0b7 did automatically update today via Firefox, after which my Word error message about incompatibility popped up the next time I tried to use Zotero within Word. So I tried manually re-installing 1.0b4, figuring that would solve it. I also re-installed the new Word for Windows plugin you linked to. Same error message.
  • I was referring to (future) auto-updating of the word processor plugins, not Zotero itself.

Plugin version 1.0b4 for Windows is no longer available and won't work with 2.0b7.
    I also re-installed the new Word for Windows plugin you linked to.
    You installed 3.0a1 from that page? Do you see Zotero WinWord Integration in Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions in Firefox?

If you're still seeing a message about 1.0b4, make sure you've restarted Word. If the message persists, you can try manually removing the .dot file, restarting Word to make sure it's gone, and then going to Tools -> Add-ons-> Extensions -> Zotero WinWord Integration -> Preferences and clicking Reinstall Word Components.
  • >>You installed 3.0a1 from that page?

Yes

>>Do you see Zotero WinWord Integration in Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions in Firefox?

Yes.

Manually removed the .dot file from AppData/Roaming and also checked to make sure it wasn't sitting in Word/Startup.

Clicked on Reinstall Word Components under Tools--> Addons --> Extensions --> Zotero WinWord Integration --> Options = nothing happens
  • Did you then start Word and see if it works?
  • edited September 15, 2009
    I had the same problem. The Word plugin wasn't installed in the right location. In my case I looked for both Zotero.dot files, and replaced the older copy (1.0b4, created in 2008) in the right location with the newer one (3.0a1, created in august 2009) from the wrong location.
  • Rintze: What were the two locations?
  • This was at work on a severely locked down English copy of Windows XP. I modified the startup location about a year ago because I didn't have write access to the default startup folder of Word. I'm actually a bit surprised that the plugin did install in the original startup folder (it might be that the rights on the folder changed in the mean-time, or maybe the path changed). Can't be more helpful than that.

Replacing the file by hand seemed to fix everything though, so it might be enough if you just provide a link to the Zotero.dot again in addition to the installer.
  • Dan, I'm making progress. Now if I go into the Word/Startup folder and click to open the Zotero.dot file there, that brings up a Word window in which Zotero is fully functional. But just using my usual shortcut from the desktop to open Word, or opening Word from the Program files list, brings up a Word window that is missing the Zotero plugin (no "Add-ins" in the top toolbar). So at this point I no longer have a compatability problem, I've got something funny going on with Word itself? Whew, sorry this is turning into such an ordeal.
  • Also, and I don't know if this is related, but after reading Rintze's comment: the Zotero.dot that's sitting in Word/Startup is 8/25/2008. In my Firefox browser, going to Tools --> Add-ons --> WinWord Integration --> Options brings up a button to use to reinstall Word components, but nothing happens when I click on it.
  • You shouldn't see any messages if reinstallation proceeds properly. Try following these instructions to give us an error report.
  • "Report Errors" is gray, not black, under my Gears icon. But there was a yellow triangle showing that there was a Sync error, and I sent that one, and its number was 1925665157.

As it stands, I can use Zotero only if I start Word by opening the Zotero.dot file in the Word/Startup folder, but not if I start Word from my desktop shortcut or from the Programs menu.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    thangen: I'm afraid there's no way for a 8/2008 copy of Zotero.dot to be fully functional with 2.0b7—you'd get an incompatibility message when you tried to insert a citation—so either that's not really the file timestamp or you're not running 2.0b7 with the Zotero library that's being accessed (or something else very strange is happening).

You might want to restart your computer to make sure there's not a rogue Firefox process still running (though it couldn't access the 2.0b7 library, and your error report was definitely from 2.0b7)...
  • Sheepish: it's 8/25/2009, after installing & then reinstalling the new plugin again

I believe I have fixed the problem by manually moving the Zotero.dot out of Word/Startup and into AppData/Roaming. Don't know why that worked, but looks like everything is A-ok now. Thanks for all your help.
  • edited July 12, 2011
    If this has been covered, I apologize. I installed the first version of the plugin of zotero, which is not in the Add-Ins on my Word documents (it shows up on the ribbon on the top left). If I click on it is says it's incompatible. Apparently I don't have to right one. I think I need the 2nd version. Regardless, I have tried to download the newer version (2.18, I think), but even though it appears to download just fine (I have to close Firefox each time), the plugin in my Word documents is still not working. I can't figure out how to get rid of the old plugin in Word and start fresh.

Also, I have an issue with Adobe. It says I need to download a 9.0 version or higher, which I have multiple times. It still says I need to download it. I need help, please, on both issues.

Thank you,

Tom
  • edited July 12, 2011
    Tom, what version of Word are you running? What's the exact message you're receiving?